Finding the shapes of all timelike geodesics

In summary, the solution to the homework statement is to find the shapes of all timelike geodesics in a two-dimensional spacetime with the line elementdS2=-X2dT2+dX2. However, the attempt at a solution does not make sense and the answer is found in more straightforward ways.
gnulinger

Homework Statement

Consider the two-dimensional spacetime with the line element
dS2 = -X2dT2+dX2.
Find the shapes X(T) of all timelike geodesics in this spacetime.

2. The attempt at a solution
I have the solution to this problem but I don't understand one step. For timelike worldlines
dS2 = -dt2 = 0 (where dt is the proper time)
We also have that the Lagrangian is L = (X2(dT/dσ)2 - (dX/dσ)2)1/2
The Euler-Lagrange equation gives us that ∂L/(∂(dT/dσ)) = const.
In the solutions, it is stated that this constant is identically equal to "e", and I do not understand why this is.

Could anyone explain this or point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
gnulinger said:
For timelike worldlines
dS2 = -dt2 = 0 (where dt is the proper time)

No, that's null worldlines. For timelike dS2 < 0.

clamtrox said:
No, that's null worldlines. For timelike dS2 < 0.

Oops. You're right.

Anyway, here is the part that I don't understand (taken from the solutions manual):
http://i.imgur.com/YL66F.png

Do you understand why this quantity related to the Killing vector is conserved? Each Killing vector corresponds to a coordinate which can be transformed to remain constant, ie. they correspond to conserved quantities. Timelike Killing vector gives you conservation of energy, so e in this case is energy density or something like that. You can find the theory behind Killing vectors in most GR books.

A less tricky way of doing the same calculation would be just to integrate the geodesic equations directly. So start like you usually do from the Lagrangian and find Christoffel symbols from it. It's just a bit more work, as geodesic equations are 2nd order while the Killing vector method gives you directly first order equations.

I understand that the quantity is conserved, but I thought that the solutions manual was stating that the constant was the number "e," as opposed to just some arbitrary label of a constant. I was wondering if there was some strange math fact that led to this.

Thank you for the help.

1. What is the purpose of finding the shapes of all timelike geodesics?

The purpose of finding the shapes of all timelike geodesics is to understand the curvature and structure of spacetime. Timelike geodesics represent the paths that particles with mass would follow in a curved spacetime, and by studying their shapes, we can gain insights into the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. How do scientists go about finding the shapes of timelike geodesics?

Scientists use mathematical equations and techniques, such as differential geometry and calculus, to calculate the shapes of timelike geodesics. This involves analyzing the properties of the spacetime metric, which describes the curvature of spacetime, and solving equations that govern the paths of particles in this curved space.

3. What are some practical applications of understanding the shapes of timelike geodesics?

Understanding the shapes of timelike geodesics has practical applications in various fields, including astrophysics, cosmology, and general relativity. It can help us understand the behavior of objects in extreme gravitational environments, such as black holes, and make predictions about the evolution of the universe.

4. Are there any current research efforts focused on finding the shapes of all timelike geodesics?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts in this field, particularly in the study of black holes and other extreme environments. Scientists are also exploring new mathematical techniques and models to better understand and describe the shapes of timelike geodesics in different spacetime scenarios.

5. Can the shapes of timelike geodesics change over time?

Yes, the shapes of timelike geodesics can change over time, depending on the dynamics of the spacetime they exist in. For example, in a universe that is expanding, the shapes of timelike geodesics will change as the distances between objects increase. Additionally, the presence of massive objects or other sources of gravity can also alter the shapes of timelike geodesics.