Finding the Speed and Direction of a Woman on a Moving Ship

In summary, a woman walking due west on a ship moving north at 3 mi/h has a relative velocity of 26 mi/h at an angle of 82.6 degrees north of west. The direction can be described as 7.4 degrees west of north.
dGasim

Homework Statement

A woman walks due west on the deck of a ship at 3 mi/h. The ship is moving north at a speed of 23 mi/h. Find the speed and direction of the woman relative to the surface of the water. (Round your answers to one decimal place.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew the picture:
EDIT: Attachment

Then I solved the relative velocity formula:
[itex]v_{w/g} = v_{s/g} + v_{w/s}[/itex] = 23 + 3 = 26mi/h

Which went wrong, so I made another attempt:
[itex]\sqrt{23^2 + 3^2} = 23.2[/itex]

And i don't know how to find the angle. Should I do it like arctan(23/3) ?

Thanks in advance,
Gasim Gasimzada

Attachments

• Untitled__.jpg
    Untitled__.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 786
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gasim! :wink:
dGasim said:
A woman walks due west on the deck of a ship at 3 mi/h.

Your formula is correct :smile:, but of course it's a vector formula, so you must always use vector addition (so your second try is the correct one).

Yes, use arctan. :smile:

dGasim said:

Homework Statement

A woman walks due west on the deck of a ship at 3 mi/h. The ship is moving north at a speed of 23 mi/h. Find the speed and direction of the woman relative to the surface of the water. (Round your answers to one decimal place.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I drew the picture:
EDIT: Attachment

Then I solved the relative velocity formula:
Since the vectors aren't in the same direction, you can't simply add their magnitudes.
dGasim said:
Which went wrong, so I made another attempt:
[itex]\sqrt{23^2 + 3^2} = 23.2[/itex]
This is fine.
dGasim said:
Yes. Depending on the mode your calculator is in, you'll get an answer in degrees or radians. To answer the question of the problem, you will probably need to say something like "10 degrees north of west" or "at a heading of 280 degrees." These are just examples, though.
dGasim said:
Thanks in advance,
Gasim Gasimzada

I have gotten the first part of the question right. But when it comes to second one. I did arctan(23/3) which gave me 82.6*. But I am not sure of the direction in this case because the question wants the input as "direction N _____ *W"

btw. * = degrees in this case.

Hi Gasim! :smile:

(have a degree: ° :wink:)
dGasim said:
… "direction N _____ *W" …

the number you have to fill in is the number of degrees from North to the direction …

the direction is that number of degrees West of North :wink:

Thanks a lot! Got every question right because of you guys! :)

1. What are relative vectors?

Relative vectors are vectors that describe the position or motion of an object in relation to another object. They are used in physics and engineering to understand the movement or forces acting on an object.

2. How are relative vectors different from absolute vectors?

Absolute vectors describe the position or motion of an object in relation to a fixed reference point, while relative vectors describe the position or motion of an object in relation to another moving object. Absolute vectors are constant, while relative vectors can change depending on the movement of the reference object.

3. How do you calculate relative vectors?

To calculate relative vectors, you must first determine the two reference points or objects and their respective positions. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the relative vector between the two points. This can be done by breaking the vectors into their x, y, and z components and adding or subtracting them accordingly.

4. What are some real-world applications of relative vectors?

Relative vectors are used in navigation and GPS systems, where an object's position is described relative to moving satellites. They are also used in robotics and autonomous vehicles to understand the movement of objects in relation to each other.

5. How do relative vectors affect motion?

Relative vectors play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the motion of objects. They can be used to determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object, and how those forces will affect its movement. Without considering relative vectors, it would be challenging to accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects in relation to each other.