Finding the Volume of a Solid Below a Plane and Above a Paraboloid

In summary, the conversation was about setting up an integral to find the volume of a solid below the plane z=2x and above the paraboloid z=x^2 + y^2. The conversation included discussing contour lines and using polar coordinates to solve the integral.
killersanta

Homework Statement

The volume of the solid below the plane: z=2x and above the paraboloid z=x^2 + y^2.

I need help setting this one up, I can handle the evaluating.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drawing a picture always helps. Try looking at a few contour lines.

That's where i am having a problem... I believe you are suppose to set Z to 0. But then X^2 + y^2 = 0... So x and y =0?

That is one of the contour lines, yes. It's also one of the endpoints on your integral. Where is the domain that you integrate over? Hint: It's where z1=z2, where z1=2x and z2=x^2+y^2.

I'm assuming after you set z1=z2. You solve for each? Setting the other one to zero. So x=2 and y = 0?

Is it:

2 y...2 y
S S 2x dxdy - S S x^2 + y^2 dxdy
0 0...0 0
?

Well, consider that you're integrating over the circle (x-1)^2+y^2 = 1. Considering that, I might go into polar coordinates...

thanks very much. I think i got it from here.

No problem. Glad I could help.

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid below a plane and above a paraboloid?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid below a plane and above a paraboloid is given by V = ∬(A(x, y) - B(x, y))dA, where A(x, y) represents the equation of the plane and B(x, y) represents the equation of the paraboloid.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the volume?

The limits of integration can be determined by setting the equations of the plane and paraboloid equal to each other and solving for the intersection points. These points will determine the boundaries of the double integral.

3. Can the volume of a solid below a plane and above a paraboloid be negative?

No, the volume of a solid cannot be negative. The negative sign in the formula is used to represent the difference between the two functions, but the final result will always be a positive value.

4. Are there any other methods for finding the volume of a solid below a plane and above a paraboloid?

Yes, there are other methods such as using triple integrals or using the disk or washer method in polar coordinates. However, the method of double integration is the most commonly used for this type of problem.

5. Can the volume of a solid below a plane and above a paraboloid be calculated in terms of a single variable?

Yes, it is possible to express the volume in terms of a single variable by using a change of variables. This can simplify the double integral and make it easier to evaluate.