Finding Vc for two circuits, Electric Circuit Analysis question

In summary, the capacitor is not in parallel with the current source in case (a), but in case (b) it is. To calculate the voltage across the capacitor in both cases, we need to find the equivalent resistance and use the formula V=IR. In part (a), the equivalent resistance is 17 ohms in parallel with 13 ohms, and in part (b) it is 18 ohms in parallel with 7 ohms in series with 10 ohms. Once the equivalent resistance is found, it can be placed in parallel with the open circuited capacitor to calculate the voltage across it.
Xiao Xiao
Homework Statement
For each circuit shown in Fig. 7.45, calculate the voltage labeled vc.
Relevant Equations
In both circuits I should consider an open circuit in place of the capacitor, and then calculate Req for the remaining resistors (5ohm resistor is ommited in circuit-a) then use v=iR to find the the voltage, and by parallel v=vc (capacitor's voltage) is my answer correct? I'm sorry if this is a silly question.
IMG_20210504_141141.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you said is correct in case (b), but not in case (a). The capacitor is not in parallel with the current source in case (a). Why don't you try calculating vc in both cases and show us your work?

phyzguy said:
I think what you said is correct in case (b), but not in case (a). The capacitor is not in parallel with the current source in case (a). Why don't you try calculating vc in both cases and show us your work?
For (b) I did Rth= 15.04ohm, Vc=v=iR=67.68nV

For (a) capacitor is short circuit in dc circuit, so we ignore the 5ohm so Req=7. 37ohm, and v=33.16nV, if what you're saying is correct then I'm not sure how to proceed after that.

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_150003.jpg
    IMG_20210504_150003.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 144
Part (b) looks correct. For part (a), the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the voltage across the 7 Ohm resistor. How much current is flowing through the 7 Ohm resistor, and what s the voltage across it?

Likes Xiao Xiao
phyzguy said:
Part (b) looks correct. For part (a), the voltage across the capacitor will be equal to the voltage across the 7 Ohm resistor. How much current is flowing through the 7 Ohm resistor, and what s the voltage across it?
Oooh, I see, thanks a lot, I'll try to do that now.

In both cases the capacitor is open circuited when the equivalent resistance is calculated as follows. In case (a) you have 17 ohms in parallel with 13 ohms. Collapse that into one resistor and place it in parallel with the open circuited capacitor and just do V=IR. In case (b) you have 18 ohms in parallel with 7 ohms and then in series with 10 ohms. Collapse that into one resistor in parallel with the open circuited capacitor and, once again, do V=IR.

Likes Xiao Xiao

What is Vc?

Vc stands for voltage across the capacitor. It is the potential difference between the two plates of the capacitor.

Why is it important to find Vc for two circuits?

Vc is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the capacitor in the circuit. It also allows us to calculate the energy stored in the capacitor and the charge on the capacitor.

How do you find Vc for two circuits?

To find Vc for two circuits, you first need to determine the equivalent capacitance for the two circuits. Then, you can use the formula Vc=Q/C, where Q is the charge on the capacitor and C is the equivalent capacitance. You can find the charge by using Kirchhoff's laws and solving the circuit equations.

What factors affect Vc in a circuit?

The value of Vc is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage source in the circuit, and the resistance in the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can cause the value of Vc to change.

Can Vc be negative?

Yes, Vc can be negative. This occurs when the polarity of the capacitor is reversed, causing the voltage across it to be negative. This can happen when the capacitor is connected in a circuit with a voltage source that has a higher voltage than the capacitor's initial charge.