How to Solve an Electric Circuit Like This?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the resistance (R) of an electric circuit and the steps involved in solving the problem. The participants mention starting with identifying the values of the resistors (R1, R2, R3, R4) and then using Kirchoff's Laws to simplify the circuit and create simultaneous equations. The conversation ends with the suggestion of using a systematic approach.
askor
Can someone please tell me to find R of this electric circuit?
Please tell me the step-by-step.
I have many problems of electric circuit like this.
If you show me one, perhaps I can solve the rest of them.

ElecCirc.PNG

Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
Can someone please tell me to find R of this electric circuit?
Please tell me the step-by-step.

This looks like homework, but even if it isnt, we will not just give you the answers here at PF
we expect you to make some effort to trying to solve problems yourself.

So with that said, where do you think would be a good place to start working it out ?

davenn said:
This looks like homework, but even if it isnt, we will not just give you the answers here at PF
we expect you to make some effort to trying to solve problems yourself.

So with that said, where do you think would be a good place to start working it out ?

OK, here is my attempt.

R1 = 6 Ω
R2 = 8 Ω
R3 = 10 Ω
R4 = 15 Ω

R3 and R4 are parallel and form a R5, so

##\frac{1}{R5} = \frac{1}{R3} + \frac{1}{R4}##
##\frac{1}{R5} = \frac{1}{10} + \frac{1}{15}##
##\frac{1}{R5} = \frac{1.5 + 1}{15}##
##\frac{1}{R5} = \frac{2.5}{15}##
##R5 = \frac{15}{2.5}##
##R5 = 6 Ω##

What next?

askor said:
What next?
Have you come across Kirchoff's Laws?

Moved from a technical forum, no template.

askor said:
What next?
What's needed in a problem like this is a systematic approach.You have reduced the circuit already by converting those two resistors to just one. Then you use Kirchoff's laws to produce some simultaneous equations for the currents and voltages around a circuit. Looks a pain but this problem is not too hard. There is no point in my explaining Kirchoff if you know it already.

1. How do I determine the current in an electric circuit?

The current in an electric circuit can be determined by using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). This can be expressed as I = V/R.

2. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, so the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, so the current is divided between them.

3. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using the formula R = V/I, where R is the resistance in ohms, V is the voltage across the resistor, and I is the current flowing through the resistor.

4. How do I solve a circuit with multiple resistors?

To solve a circuit with multiple resistors, you can use a combination of series and parallel circuit analysis. First, analyze each branch of the circuit separately using the appropriate equations. Then, combine the results to determine the overall current, voltage, and resistance of the circuit.

5. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and how is it used in circuit analysis?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in the same loop. This law is used in circuit analysis to determine the unknown voltages in a circuit by setting up equations based on the voltage drops and sources in the loop.