Finding x for a quadratic equation

In summary, the conversation is about solving a quadratic equation with variables a, v, and d. The suggested method is to use the quadratic formula to find the two roots of the equation. The person initially had trouble due to the variables, but was guided in the right direction and found the solution.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Solve (a/2)x^2+vx-d=0 for x.

Homework Equations

Quadratic factoring, quadratic formula (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start with this question. It is probably the variables that are throwing me off, and as such I have no idea what I'm doing here :-p. My first idea was to use the quadratic formula to obtain both answers for x, but I get a big mess of variables that doesn't seem to look correct, so I'm wondering if there is another way to go about this problem. If anyone can be of assistance here in pointing me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, simply use the Quadratic formula and find the two roots of the equation.

Thanks
Matt

Ahh ok, thanks very much.

Related to Finding x for a quadratic equation

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is an algebraic equation in the form of ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable. It represents a parabola on a graph and can have two potential solutions.

2. Why is finding x important in a quadratic equation?

Finding x in a quadratic equation is important because it represents the values of the variable that make the equation true. These solutions can help solve real-world problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.

3. What methods can be used to find x in a quadratic equation?

The two main methods for finding x in a quadratic equation are factoring and using the quadratic formula. Factoring involves breaking down the equation into simpler terms, while the quadratic formula uses the coefficients of the equation to find the solutions.

4. How many solutions can a quadratic equation have?

A quadratic equation can have two solutions, one solution, or no real solutions. The number of solutions depends on the discriminant, which is the value under the square root in the quadratic formula. A positive discriminant indicates two real solutions, a zero discriminant indicates one real solution, and a negative discriminant indicates no real solutions.

5. Can x be a complex number in a quadratic equation?

Yes, x can be a complex number in a quadratic equation. Complex numbers involve both real and imaginary components and can be represented in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. Complex solutions occur when the discriminant is negative.