Fixed Pipe Uniform Load Support

In summary, the conversation focuses on finding the best way to support a spray bar assembly with a pipe of specific diameter. The spray arms sit at a 45 degree angle and require support when maintenance is performed. The support pipe must be 103" long and no larger than 2.5" in diameter, with a factor of safety (FOS) of at least 4. The person is wondering if smaller braces and bolts can be used due to limited space on the housing. The conversation also mentions the distances between the load and the braces at the end of the support bar, with the load being 12" from the housing and the braces being 1-1.5" away from the housing.
Reynolds7
Hello,

I am working on a project to be able to support a spray bar assembly with a pipe with a specific diameter. The spray arms, fully extended, sit at 45 deg on hydraulics. To perform maintenance, these hydraulics must be turned off, so a way to support this is needed. The support pipe 103" long, will rest in two cup braces mounted to the housing. I attached a file to better show this. The support bar must be 103" long and no larger than a 2.5" diameter if possible. I am looking to figure out the smallest diameter pipe I could use to support this with a FOS of at least 4. This will allow for smaller braces on the housing, which is needed because I have minimal space to work with. Also, will smaller braces work? How many bolts needed to mount to housing? Diameter of bolts? The bar will not move side to side at all, obviously.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a while.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Spray Bar Scan.pdf
    40 KB · Views: 274
Engineering news on Phys.org
What are the distances between the load P and the braces at the end of the support bar?

12" from the load to the housing and then the braces will be an inch or 1 1/2" off the housing, due to limited working space on the housing.

Related to Fixed Pipe Uniform Load Support

1. What is a fixed pipe uniform load support?

A fixed pipe uniform load support is a method used to support pipes or pipelines in a fixed position. This means that the pipe is held in place and cannot move or rotate, even under the weight of a uniform load. This type of support is commonly used in construction, industrial, and infrastructure projects.

2. How does a fixed pipe uniform load support work?

A fixed pipe uniform load support typically consists of a rigid bracket or clamp that is attached to a building or structure. The pipe is then secured to the bracket using bolts or other fasteners. This creates a fixed point of support for the pipe, preventing it from shifting or bending under the weight of the load.

3. What are the benefits of using a fixed pipe uniform load support?

Using a fixed pipe uniform load support provides several benefits, including increased stability and durability of the pipe, reduced risk of damage or failure, and easier maintenance and inspection. It also allows for more precise positioning of the pipe, which is important for ensuring proper flow and function.

4. When is a fixed pipe uniform load support necessary?

A fixed pipe uniform load support is necessary whenever a pipe or pipeline needs to be held in a fixed position. This could be due to factors such as the weight of the pipe, the type of material being transported, or the potential for external forces (such as wind or vibrations) to affect the pipe's stability.

5. Are there any alternatives to a fixed pipe uniform load support?

Yes, there are other methods of pipe support that may be used instead of a fixed pipe uniform load support, such as hangers, rollers, or guides. The best method will depend on the specific needs and conditions of the project. It is important to consult with a professional engineer to determine the most suitable support system for a given situation.