Fixing a Torn Screen After a Fire Alarm

In summary, to fix a torn screen after a fire alarm, you will need to assess the damage and determine if it can be repaired with a screen patch kit or if it needs to be replaced entirely. The cost of the repair will vary depending on the size and severity of the damage, and it is important to fix a torn screen to prevent pests and maintain home security. While it is possible to fix a torn screen yourself, it may be best to hire a professional for more extensive damage.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello

We just had the fire alarm go off at a building in school, so I briskly put my laptop to sleep and stood outside. It's about 85 F outside, and my computer has had some issues with getting hot. Now I took it out of sleep and the screen is torn. I tried turning off the computer and reboot, but it is still torn. What can I do to fix this?
ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1440801804.210168.jpg

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hook an external monitor to the laptop to see if it boots normally to that. If it does then the laptop display or it's electronics are toast.

1. How do you fix a torn screen after a fire alarm?

To fix a torn screen after a fire alarm, you will need to first assess the damage. If the tears are small, you can use a screen repair kit to patch them up. If the tears are larger, you may need to replace the entire screen. To do this, you will need to remove the old screen and replace it with a new one, using a screen spline tool to secure it in place.

2. Can a torn screen be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

The answer to this question depends on the size and severity of the tear. Small tears can usually be repaired with a screen patch kit, while larger tears may require the entire screen to be replaced. It is important to assess the damage and determine the best course of action.

3. How much does it cost to fix a torn screen?

The cost of fixing a torn screen will vary depending on the size of the screen and the severity of the damage. If you need to replace the entire screen, the cost will be higher than if you can repair it with a patch kit. It is best to consult with a professional for an accurate cost estimate.

4. Is it important to fix a torn screen after a fire alarm?

Yes, it is important to fix a torn screen after a fire alarm. A torn screen can allow insects and other pests to enter your home, as well as dirt and debris. It can also compromise the security of your home by providing an easy access point for intruders.

5. Can I fix a torn screen myself or do I need to hire a professional?

It is possible to fix a torn screen yourself, especially if it is a small tear that can be repaired with a patch kit. However, if the damage is more extensive or you are unsure of how to properly fix the screen, it may be best to hire a professional. They will have the necessary tools and expertise to fix the screen effectively.