Fixing PC Problems: My Fascinating Story

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's previous problems with their power supply and how they fixed it. They initially thought the noise was coming from the power supply, but it turned out to be the CPU fan. After purchasing a new power supply and still experiencing the noise, the speaker discovered that the noise was coming from their graphics card fan. They also express frustration with their graphics card manufacturer and reveal that their computer was advertised as having a Pentium 4 processor, but it actually had an AMD processor. The conversation ends with the speaker offering their help with computer issues and expressing relief that their PC is now fixed.
Mark
Hello everyone, for those of you who recall, I posted earlier about having problems with my power supply...well i fixed, and here is how...

I recall hearing grinding sounds from my pc, and I figured my power supply was screwed up, so I researched, and found a new power supply in an advertisement.

But I looked closer at my pc (opened it up, stuck my ear in) and I found that the sickening sound was in fact coming from the cpu fan.

So I went to Radio Shack, and bought a new power supply ($30 CND!) But when I installed that I still heard the sickening sound, but now my monitor was displaying a black screen of nothingness upon startup.

So I tried it on my other monitor to find that the same screen appeared.

After painful observations (sticking my ear in my pc again, but near the fan :biggrin: ), I realized that my graphics card had a fan, and this fan was located about an inch or two from my processor fan.

I realized that my graphics card manufacturer (ATI) are a bunch of disillusioned jerks who think that making there customers pay for phone support will encourage them to buy their products (ahem I now dislike ati greatly). But fortunately I decided to open up the fan, cover it with 3 in 1 oil, and plug everything back in.

After this my computer started working again, and here I am with a fixed pc, and a receipt for a cpu fan which will be used tomorow to get my money back.

But the twist to this story of frustration, and despair??
When i opened up my processor fan I found that the "PENTIUM 4" which was advertised when i purshased my pc was not present! IT WAS A FRIGGING AMD CRAPCHIP!

that is my rant, if ever you have problems with fans, or graphics cards, or monit...anything, please pm me for help lol

Computer science news on Phys.org
I had a computer that got a noisy fan. Finally, the fan got to where it hardly ever turned. That computer kept on operating, so I guess the cooling system was superfluous.

Mark said:
But the twist to this story of frustration, and despair??
When i opened up my processor fan I found that the "PENTIUM 4" which was advertised when i purshased my pc was not present! IT WAS A FRIGGING AMD CRAPCHIP!

AMD crapchip? What's wrong with AMD CPUs?

It is pretty bad though, that you were sold something that was not what it was advertised as. Where did you buy it from? Was it second-hand from someone else, or from a supposedly "reputable" retail store?

Just for future reference, if you right-click on "My Computer" (assuming you're using Windows) and click on "Properties", it should tell you some basic information about your system, including what processor you're using. You can get plenty of programs that will tell you a lot of detailed information about your system too.

Glad you managed to fix your PC anyway, and hopefully you won't have any problems getting your money back for the fan either.

1. What inspired you to write about fixing PC problems?

I have always been passionate about computers and technology, and I have encountered many people who struggle with fixing PC problems on their own. I wanted to share my knowledge and experiences in a way that could help others solve their computer issues.

2. What makes your story about fixing PC problems unique?

My story is unique because it is a personal account of my journey as a scientist and how my problem-solving skills and scientific background have helped me in fixing various PC problems. It also includes tips and tricks that I have learned along the way.

3. Can someone with no technical background benefit from reading your story?

Absolutely! My story is written in a way that is easy to understand for people with no technical background. I have included explanations and step-by-step instructions that anyone can follow to fix common PC problems.

4. What are some of the most common PC problems that you have encountered?

Some of the most common PC problems that I have encountered include slow performance, virus infections, software errors, and hardware malfunctions. These are all issues that can be frustrating and time-consuming to fix, but with the right knowledge and approach, they can be solved effectively.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from your story about fixing PC problems?

I hope readers will gain a better understanding of how to approach and solve PC problems, as well as the importance of being patient and methodical in troubleshooting. I also hope to inspire others to not be intimidated by technology and instead embrace the opportunity to learn and fix their own PC issues.