Flash, burning smell, computer dead: diagnosis?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with an iMac G3 desktop computer. When the power button was pressed, there was a bright flash and burning smell. After trying a different power lead, the same thing happened again. The computer has been backed up, but the owner would like to revive it. It is assumed that something has been fried and the question is whether it is an important part or an easily replaceable component. Other symptoms include the computer sometimes starting up and sometimes not, and it starting up after being disconnected and reconnected from the mains. It is suggested to open the lid and check the power supply using a voltage meter, as it may be the source of the issue. Possible solutions include replacing the power supply or fixing
tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
when i pressed the power button on my imac g3 desktop computer, there was a bright flash from inside the computer (it has a transparent blue top), and a burning smell such as when a fuse blows

i tried using a different power lead a few hours later, the same thing happened again

everything on it (except my emails) is backed up on another computer, but i'd like to revive it if i can

assuming that I've fried something (i haven't yet taken the lid off to look inside), is it likely to be an important part of the electronics, or is it more likely to be an easily replaceable component such as you'd find in an electric heater?

(further symptoms: for the last two weeks, the computer sometimes started-up ok, but sometimes did nothing at all on pressing the power button, and sometimes made the start-up noise but didn't do anything else: in either case, it then started up ok if i disconnected from the mains (i usually leave it connected even when swithced off) and then reconnected before pressing the power button again: does that have something do to with a capacitor? :confused:)

help! :redface:

Computer science news on Phys.org
The magic smoke escaped from the power supply.

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/iMac-Power-Supply-c-247_585.html?gclid=CMnRsMTb4a0CFQ41hwodmz3sTQ

If it were me, I'd open the lid and check a couple of things.

It sounds like it may be your power supply that might be fried.
So open the lid, disconnect the power supply from the main board, switch the power on, and check with a voltage meter whether you have power (6 V, 12 V, 15 V, whatever...).

This will tell you if it's either a fuse, the power supply itself, or the switch.
It's not unusual for the isolation in the coils in the power supply to have lost some of its capacity to isolate, which may explain your previous problems.
If that is the problem, you can fix it by replacing the power supply.

1. What could be causing a flash of light and a burning smell from my computer?

There could be a few different causes for this issue. It could be a faulty power supply, a malfunctioning fan, or a short circuit in the motherboard. It's important to unplug the computer and stop using it immediately to prevent further damage.

2. How can I tell if my computer is completely dead?

The most obvious sign of a completely dead computer is when it won't turn on at all. This could be due to a failed power supply, a damaged motherboard, or other hardware issues. If there are no signs of life when you try to turn on the computer, it's likely that it is completely dead.

3. Is it safe to continue using my computer if I smell burning?

No, it is not safe to continue using your computer if you smell burning. This could indicate that there is a fire hazard or that a component inside the computer is damaged. You should unplug the computer and have it inspected by a professional.

4. Can a flash of light and a burning smell be fixed or is my computer beyond repair?

It depends on the cause of the issue. If it is a simple fix, such as replacing a faulty component, then it is possible to repair the computer. However, if the issue is more serious, such as a damaged motherboard, it may be beyond repair and you may need to replace the computer.

5. How can I prevent a flash of light, burning smell, and computer death from happening again?

To prevent these issues from happening again, it's important to regularly clean and maintain your computer. This includes dusting the components and ensuring proper ventilation. It's also important to use a surge protector to protect the computer from power surges. If you notice any strange smells or sounds coming from your computer, it's best to have it inspected by a professional to catch any potential issues before they become more serious.