Flight of a plane without lift on its wings

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of visualizing a diagram for a question involving centripetal force and the suggestion to represent the forces acting on the object instead of the motion. It also mentions the option to use either a plane's frame of reference or an inertial frame to solve the problem.
DavidOB18
Homework Statement
I was practicing qs. at the end of the chapter and came across this. Example 5 shows a model aeroplane in circular motion at the end of a string. The centripetal force is the tension. Redo Example 5, assuming that there is no upward lift on the plane generated by its wings. Without such lift, the guideline slopes downward due to the weight of the plane. For purposes of significant figures, use 0.900 kg for the mass of the plane, 17.0 m for the length of the guideline, and 19.0 and 38.0 m/s for the speeds.
Relevant Equations
I tried resolving its weight into it's components downslope and I think the net force is t-mg.
I don't know where to start with this as I can't visualise a diagram for it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
DavidOB18 said:
I can't visualise a diagram for it
Please make some attempt to do so and post what you come up with. The question provides a lot of guidance.

Does the centripetal force become t-mg as it is the net force.

IMG_20191112_105016.jpg

That should be mg sin theta sorry.

DavidOB18 said:
Does the centripetal force become t-mg as it is the net force.
As vectors, yes. But if you mean as scalars you need to take direction into account.
DavidOB18 said:
That should be mg sin theta sorry.
You did not define theta. If it is the angle to the horizontal then, yes, sin.
So what two scalar force balance equations does that give you?

So is the diagram just a slope and no circular motion.

DavidOB18 said:
So is the diagram just a slope and no circular motion.
You do not need to represent the motion in the diagram. Just show the forces that act on the object.
You have a choice in that. You can use the plane's frame of reference and centrifugal force, with the net force being zero, or an inertial frame with the net force being the centripetal force.

Thanks for your help.

Likes berkeman

What is flight of a plane without lift on its wings?

The flight of a plane without lift on its wings refers to the ability of an aircraft to fly without the use of traditional wing designs that create lift. This can be achieved through unconventional wing designs or alternative methods of generating lift, such as through propulsion or a lifting body shape.

Is it possible for a plane to fly without lift on its wings?

Yes, it is possible for a plane to fly without traditional lift on its wings. However, this requires alternative methods of generating lift and may not be as efficient or effective as traditional wing designs.

What are some examples of unconventional wing designs?

Some examples of unconventional wing designs that can allow a plane to fly without lift on its wings include delta wings, swept wings, and canard wings. These designs alter the way air flows over and under the wings, creating lift in a different manner.

How does a plane without lift on its wings generate lift?

A plane without lift on its wings can generate lift through alternative methods such as propulsion, a lifting body shape, or using a combination of unconventional wing designs. These methods work by manipulating the airflow around the aircraft to create lift.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of a plane without lift on its wings?

The advantages of a plane without lift on its wings include potential for higher speeds, improved maneuverability, and decreased drag. However, the disadvantages include increased complexity and potential reliability issues, as well as less efficient lift generation compared to traditional wing designs.