Force Matrix for Transient Thermal Analysis

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses a 2D transient thermal analysis FE code that the speaker has developed. The speaker is experiencing a conceptual problem and is seeking guidance and suggestions to address the correctness of their formulation. They provide a simplified example and ask two specific questions related to force matrix and R.H.S. The responder offers general guidance and suggests seeking further understanding of the underlying theory and equations when developing a FE code.
Shriram
Hi,

I have developed a 2D transient thermal analysis FE code which doesn't
seem to be correct. I am sure there is a conceptual problem in the
formulation itself which I have not been able to understand and could
not find concrete information in books.

I am putting up the question in a very simplified form so as to address the correctness of the formulation.

Let's say we have a square of unit length with 4 nodes at each corner
(Q4 element). Initial temperatures are specified as 100 for all nodes
(at t=0). The temperature of the nodes 1 and 2 are specified as 200
and 300 at the first time step and we investigate the temperature distribution on other 2
nodes with time say 0 to 100 seconds (with the specified temperatures
maintained). No other thermal load is applied.

-- Now, while solving the FE discreet equation, during the first time step would there be any force matrix on the R.H.S?

-- If no, then would the R.H.S be simply (1/dt)*C*tn (using time integration parameter'theta=1'). 'C' being the specific heat matrix, 'tn' is vector of initial dofs and
'dt' is time-step. (Reference: Ansys theory manual, transient thermal
analysis, eq 17-33)

I have tried to keep the problem as simple as possible without much
theory. Hope it is clear. Any suggestion or comment is deeply
appreciated.

Thanks,
Shriram
------------------------
Research Assistant
Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization Lab.
University of Florida

Engineering news on Phys.org

Dear Shriram,

Thank you for reaching out with your question about your 2D transient thermal analysis FE code. Based on the information provided, it seems that you may be experiencing a conceptual problem in your formulation. In order to address the correctness of your formulation, it would be helpful to have more information about your specific code and equations. However, I will do my best to provide some general guidance and suggestions.

Firstly, to answer your first question, during the first time step, there may or may not be a force matrix on the R.H.S, depending on the specific equations and boundary conditions used in your formulation. Without further details, it is difficult to determine for certain.

As for your second question, the R.H.S would typically include both the specific heat matrix and the temperature vector at the previous time step (tn). However, again, this may vary depending on the specific equations and time integration method used.

In general, when developing a FE code, it is important to thoroughly understand the underlying theory and equations being used. It may be helpful to consult with experts in the field or refer to textbooks and other resources for a better understanding of the concepts involved.

I hope this helps in addressing your concerns and I wish you the best of luck in your research.

1. What is a force matrix for transient thermal analysis?

A force matrix for transient thermal analysis is a tool used in engineering and scientific research to analyze the dynamic response of a material or system to changes in temperature over time. It consists of a matrix of force values that represent the thermal stresses and strains within the material.

2. How does a force matrix for transient thermal analysis work?

A force matrix for transient thermal analysis works by applying the principles of thermodynamics and mechanics to a material or system. It uses mathematical equations and numerical methods to calculate the forces and stresses that result from changes in temperature over time.

3. What are the applications of a force matrix for transient thermal analysis?

A force matrix for transient thermal analysis has a wide range of applications, including in the aerospace, automotive, and electronics industries. It is often used to study the behavior of materials and components under extreme thermal conditions, such as in engine components or electronic circuits.

4. What are the benefits of using a force matrix for transient thermal analysis?

Using a force matrix for transient thermal analysis allows for a more detailed and accurate understanding of the thermal behavior of materials and systems. It can help identify potential weaknesses or failure points and inform the design and development of more durable and efficient products.

5. Are there any limitations to using a force matrix for transient thermal analysis?

While a force matrix for transient thermal analysis is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It relies on simplified assumptions and models, and may not accurately capture the complex behavior of some materials or systems. Additionally, it requires specialized software and expertise to use effectively.