Fourier Transform of a Free Induction Decay Signal

In summary, the spectrum G(f) corresponding to the given signal S(t) is given by G(f) = S(0) { \frac{T^{*}_{2}}{ 1 + [2 \pi (f- f_{o} )T^{*}_{2}]^{2}} + \frac{i2 \pi (f- f_{o} ) (T^{*}_{2})^{2}}{ 1 + [2 \pi (f- f_{o} )T^{*}_{2}]^{2}} } when 0 ≤ t < ∞ and G(f) = 0 when t < 0. This is obtained by taking the integral of S(t) and using the given equations
wolski888

Homework Statement

S(t) = S(0)[itex]e^{-i \pi f_{o}t}[/itex] [itex]e^{-t/T^{*}_{2}}[/itex], 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] t < [itex]\infty[/itex]
S(t) = 0, t < 0

Show that the spectrum G(f) corresponding to this signal is given by:

G(f) = S(0) { [itex]\frac{T^{*}_{2}}{ 1 + [2 \pi (f- f_{o} )T^{*}_{2}]^{2}} + \frac{i2 \pi (f- f_{o} ) (T^{*}_{2})^{2}}{ 1 + [2 \pi (f- f_{o} )T^{*}_{2}]^{2}}[/itex] }

Homework Equations

[itex]G(f) = \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} S(t) e^{i 2 \pi f t} dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]G(f) = \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} S(t) e^{i 2 \pi f t} dt[/itex]

[itex] = \int^{\infty}_{- \infty} S(0) e^{-i 2 \pi f_{o}t} e^{-t/T^{*}_{2}}e^{i 2 \pi f t} dt[/itex]

[itex] = S(0) \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{i 2 \pi (f - f_{o})t} e^{-t/T^{*}_{2}} dt[/itex] * S(t) is 0 when t is less than 0, so took integral from infity to 0. Took out S(0) and combined the exponents.

[itex] = S(0) \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{i 2 \pi (f - f_{o})t - t/T^{*}_{2}} dt[/itex] *Combined the exponents

[itex] = S(0) \int^{\infty}_{0} e^{t[i 2 \pi (f - f_{o}) - 1/T^{*}_{2}]} dt[/itex] *factored out t. Now all the stuff in the square brackets are basically a constant.

[itex] = S(0) [ \frac{e^{t[i 2 \pi (f - f_{o}) - 1/T^{*}_{2}]}}{i 2 \pi (f - f_{o}) - 1/T^{*}_{2}} ]^{\infty}_{0}[/itex] *This is what I get after integrating. But as t goes to infinity, so does the fraction. Which I think makes sense since its a continuous spectrum. So maybe integrating from 0 to T2*? That way it looks like I am getting closer to the answer. Is my integration wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
And I apologize if this is not in the right section.

Nevermind, I got it.

Related to Fourier Transform of a Free Induction Decay Signal

What is a Free Induction Decay (FID) signal?

A Free Induction Decay (FID) signal is a time-domain signal that is produced by a nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) experiment. It is a decaying sinusoidal signal that is generated when the nuclei in a sample are excited by a radiofrequency pulse.

What is the Fourier Transform of a FID signal?

The Fourier Transform of a FID signal is a mathematical operation that converts the signal from the time-domain to the frequency-domain. This allows us to analyze the different frequencies present in the signal and extract information about the sample, such as the chemical composition and molecular structure.

Why is the Fourier Transform of a FID signal important in NMR experiments?

The Fourier Transform of a FID signal is important in NMR experiments because it allows us to obtain a spectrum, which is a plot of signal intensity versus frequency. This spectrum contains valuable information about the sample, such as the chemical shifts and coupling constants of different nuclei, which can be used to identify and characterize molecules.

How is the Fourier Transform of a FID signal calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a FID signal is calculated using a mathematical algorithm, such as the fast Fourier transform (FFT). This algorithm converts the signal from the time-domain to the frequency-domain by breaking it down into individual sinusoidal components of different frequencies and amplitudes.

What factors can affect the Fourier Transform of a FID signal?

The quality of the Fourier Transform of a FID signal can be affected by several factors, such as the strength and duration of the radiofrequency pulse, the homogeneity of the magnetic field, and the relaxation properties of the sample. These factors can lead to distortions or artifacts in the resulting spectrum, which can affect the accuracy and interpretation of the data.