Fractional Calculus and Residues

In summary, according to Fractional Calculus, the power rule can be written as (dm/dzm)zn = n!/(n-m)!zn-m. To find the residue of f(z) = f(z)/(z-z0)m at z→z0, the formula is Res(z→z0) f(z) = 1/(m-1)! dm-1/dzm-1 f(z). This formula can also be used for any power residue and can be computed using the table provided. However, for even integers, the residue is always 0. This is consistent with the correct results, as every source and Wolfram state that there should not be a residue for these cases. Further research on Fractional Calcul
Harrisonized
According to Fractional Calculus, the power rule can be written as

(dm/dzm) zn = n!/(n-m)! zn-m

For example,

(d1/2/dz1/2) z1/2 = (1/2)!/(1/2-1/2)! z0 = (1/2)√π

To find the residue of f(z) = f(z)/(z-z0)m at z→z0, the formula is Res(z→z0) f(z) = 1/(m-1)! dm-1/dzm-1 f(z).

For example, when I use the formula for the residue of 1/(z-1)1/2 at z→1, I get the following:

1/(1/2-1)! d1/2-1/dz1/2-1 1
= 1/(-1/2)! (2/√π) z1/2 = 2/π

Actually, the formula for any power residue can also be computed.

Res(z→z0) f(z)
= 1/(m/2-1)! (dm/2-1/dzm/2-1) z0 = (1/(m/2-1)!)(0!/(1-m/2)!) z1-m/2
= 1/[(m/2-1)!(1-m/2)!] z1-m/2, where m is an odd integer.

Using this formula, I can construct a table:

m=1, Res = 2/π √z0
m=3, Res = 2/π 1/√z0
m=5, Res = -2/(3π) 1/z03/2
m=7, Res = 2/(5π) 1/z05/2
m=9, Res = -2/(7π) 1/z07/2
m=11, Res = 2/(9π) 1/z09/2
m, Res = (-1)(m+1)/2 2/[(m-2)π] 1/zm/2-1

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/[(m/2-1)!+(1-m/2)!]+z^(1-m/2),+m=[1,15]

It's interesting to note that for m=2, Res=1, and every other even integer above that gives a 0 value. This is consistent with the correct results.

What is the meaning of such a residue? Every source I can find on the internet says there shouldn't be a residue, and Wolfram says the residue is 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Harrisonized said:
What is the meaning of such a residue? Every source I can find on the internet says there shouldn't be a residue, and Wolfram says the residue is 0.
Yes - they say the same thing.

For a simple pole the residue of [itex]f(z)[/itex] at [itex]a[/itex] equals the value of the function [itex] (z-a)f(z)[/itex] for [itex]z=a [/itex]. Thus, if [itex]a [/itex] is not a pole, there is no residue and the value of [itex] (z-a)f(z)[/itex] is 0.

Related to Fractional Calculus and Residues

What is fractional calculus?

Fractional calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with derivatives and integrals of non-integer orders. It extends the traditional calculus, which only considers derivatives and integrals of integer orders.

What is the significance of fractional calculus?

Fractional calculus has numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It provides a more accurate and comprehensive approach in modeling and analyzing complex systems with memory and long-range dependence.

What are residues in fractional calculus?

In fractional calculus, residues are the coefficients of the Laurent series expansion of a function in the complex plane. They represent the contribution of a function's singularities to its integral.

How is fractional calculus related to complex analysis?

Fractional calculus and complex analysis are closely related as they both deal with functions and their derivatives in the complex plane. In fact, residues, which are important in fractional calculus, are also used in complex analysis to calculate integrals.

What are the main techniques used in fractional calculus and residues?

The main techniques used in fractional calculus and residues include the Laplace transform, the Fourier transform, and the Mellin transform. These transforms allow for a more efficient and effective way to solve fractional calculus problems and calculate residues.