Free-Body Diagram for Statics of a Crane

In summary, the Homework statement is that the problem is attached in the picture. The Attempt at a Solution is that the free-body diagram is in the second picture. However, when I try to do 1)Sum of horizontal forces = 02)Sum of Vertical forces = 03)Moments about A, B, C, = 0I get nonsensical answers...
unscientific
]1. Homework Statement [/b]

The problem is attached in the picture

The Attempt at a Solution

The free-body diagram is in the second picture. However, when I try to do

1)Sum of horizontal forces = 0
2)Sum of Vertical forces = 0
3)Moments about A, B, C, = 0

I get nonsensical answers...

Could it be that at the pins my forces are in the wrong direction?

Attachments

• crane1.jpg
    crane1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,661
  • crane2.jpg
    crane2.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you compute moments about A, B and C? You should compute moments about ONE point.

voko said:
Why do you compute moments about A, B and C? You should compute moments about ONE point.

What I meant was, form 3 equations, like do it 3 times.

Perhaps show us the working that gave you non-sensical answers so we can try and find the mistake.

In your second diagram you appear to have omitted forces on the winch.

Are you assuming T is vertical?

Last edited:
Again, you don't need to compute the moments about different points. Choose just one, and the sum of the moments of all the forces about this one point must be zero.

I'm trying to solve the forces on the crane first..Letting the joint A horizontal and vertical forces be F1 and F2, joint D F3 and F4, we have:

Sum of forces in x-direction

F1 = F3

Sum of forces in y-direction

T + 800 = F2 + F4

Moments about A

T(1) + 1600 = F3 (1)
T + 1600 = F3

Moments about B

800 + F2 + F4 = F3

Moments about C

T + 2F3 = 2F2 + 2F4

Last edited:
CWatters said:
Perhaps show us the working that gave you non-sensical answers so we can try and find the mistake.

In your second diagram you appear to have omitted forces on the winch.

Are you assuming T is vertical?

Yes, I'm doing it by the simplistic approach first before considering T tilted at 30 deg..

any input would be appreciated!

unscientific said:
Yes, I'm doing it by the simplistic approach first before considering T tilted at 30 deg..

Do not do it. Write up the horizontal (x ) and vertical (y) components of all forces acting at crucial points. You have the load first. What forces act on it? What about the pulley in the middle?
What are their torques acting on the beams?
I suppose the beams are considered massless, so the tension is the same in them along their length.

ehild

What he said.

This bit...

Sum of forces in x-direction
F1 = F3

is missing forces because of the approach you took ignoring the winch.

CWatters said:
What he said.

This bit...

is missing forces because of the approach you took ignoring the winch.

Ok how about this now...

I am only considering all the forces acting on the crane...hence the free-body diagram is only of the crane and not inclusive of the winch

Attachments

• crane2.jpg
    crane2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 485
I think you'd find it easier in the long run to consider all forces now rather than having to back-track and recalculate. Trust me, looking at things too simply is a hard habit to break and can lead to things being overlooked.

T1 acts at an angle so it has components in both x and y. If you show it verticaly you will (and did) forget about the x component.

Take a look at the forces on pulley C. There will also be T2 acting to the left there.

In short by ignoring the winch you appear to have forgoten some of the forces acting on the crane.

CWatters said:
T1 acts at an angle so it has components in both x and y. If you show it verticaly you will (and did) forget about the x component.

Take a look at the forces on pulley C. There will also be T2 acting to the left there.

In short by ignoring the winch you appear to have forgoten some of the forces acting on the crane.

is the horizontal component at B the same as the horizontal component at C?? In my opinion I don't think so..

Then the result would be too many unknowns and too little equations..

is the horizontal component at B the same as the horizontal component at C?? In my opinion I don't think so..

Not clear what you mean by "the horizontal component at B".

Pulley B has two forces acting it. Neither are vertical.

CWatters said:
Not clear what you mean by "the horizontal component at B".

Pulley B has two forces acting it. Neither are vertical.

Ok, I still can't see what's wrong with my free-body diagram. Point B has a vertical and horizontal component. Point C I shall assume only vertical component for simplicity. Point A and D are shown in the picture.

Related to Free-Body Diagram for Statics of a Crane

1. What is the purpose of studying the statics of this crane?

The study of statics in this context refers to the analysis of forces and moments acting on the crane in order to ensure its stability and safety while in use. This is crucial for the proper functioning and longevity of the crane.

2. How is the weight of the crane taken into account in statics analysis?

The weight of the crane itself is considered as a force acting downwards at its center of mass. This force is then balanced by other forces acting on the crane, such as the weight of the load and reaction forces at the supports, to maintain equilibrium.

3. What are the main factors that affect the stability of a crane?

The stability of a crane is affected by various factors such as the location and weight of the load, the angle and length of the boom, the position and strength of the supports, and external factors like wind and ground conditions.

4. How does the center of gravity affect the stability of a crane?

The center of gravity is a point where the entire weight of the crane can be considered to act. If the center of gravity falls outside the base of the crane, it can cause the crane to tip over. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the position of the center of gravity in the design and operation of the crane.

5. What are the safety precautions to be taken when working with a crane?

Safety precautions when working with a crane include ensuring proper training and certification for operators, regular maintenance and inspection of the crane, following weight limits and load charts, and adhering to safety protocols such as wearing personal protective equipment and using proper rigging techniques.