Free body diagram on moment and torsion

In summary: No (I assume the forces are not directly applied to the block in case 1). The forces that exist between the block and the rest of the frame occur at the fasteners and the type of forces depends on what type of forces the fastener can exert. So if you break the block and frame apart, you would model the forces on the block as the forces exerted by the fasteners. Whether some component of the those external forces transmit to the block can be found out from the static equations.No (I assume the forces are not directly applied to the block in case 1). The forces that exist between the block and the rest of the frame occur at the fasteners and the type of forces depends on what type
marvincwl

Homework Statement

It's not exactly a homework question, just want to see if i have the right concept in drawing free body diagrams

See attached Picture.
In case 1, the object is fastened on plane x-z and the rectangular block is fastened to the T-block in y-z plane.

Will the force be transferred to the block as it is in case 2?

Homework Equations

nil

The Attempt at a Solution

see attached picture. I think My1 would not be created?

Thanks alot. Help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• fbd.JPG
    fbd.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
marvincwl said:
See attached Picture.
In case 1, the object is fastened on plane x-z and the rectangular block is fastened to the T-block in y-z plane.

Will the force be transferred to the block as it is in case 2?

No (I assume the forces are not directly applied to the block in case 1). The forces that exist between the block and the rest of the frame occur at the fasteners and the type of forces depends on what type of forces the fastener can exert. So if you break the block and frame apart, you would model the forces on the block as the forces exerted by the fasteners. Whether some component of the those external forces transmit to the block can be found out from the static equations.

aralbrec said:
No (I assume the forces are not directly applied to the block in case 1). The forces that exist between the block and the rest of the frame occur at the fasteners and the type of forces depends on what type of forces the fastener can exert. So if you break the block and frame apart, you would model the forces on the block as the forces exerted by the fasteners. Whether some component of the those external forces transmit to the block can be found out from the static equations.

If this is fastened in a random vibration machine and the fasteners used are socket head cap screws?

The fasteners will only create a compressive force at the threads and at the contact of the cap and the block? so the g-force from the vibration is not transferred??!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of an object or system, showing all the external forces and moments acting on it. It is used to analyze the forces and moments that affect the equilibrium of the object.

2. How is a free body diagram used in moment and torsion analysis?

In moment and torsion analysis, a free body diagram is used to identify and analyze the forces and moments acting on an object that is subjected to twisting or bending forces. It helps in determining the internal stresses and deformations in the object.

3. What is the difference between a moment and torsion in a free body diagram?

Moment refers to the tendency of a force to cause rotational motion, while torsion refers to the twisting force acting on an object. In a free body diagram, moment is represented by a curved arrow, while torsion is represented by a circular arrow.

4. How do you calculate the moment and torsion in a free body diagram?

The moment can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation. Torsion can be calculated by multiplying the shear stress by the polar moment of inertia of the object.

5. What are the key principles to keep in mind when drawing a free body diagram for moment and torsion analysis?

The key principles to keep in mind when drawing a free body diagram for moment and torsion analysis include: representing all external forces and moments, showing the direction and magnitude of each force, labeling all forces and distances, and ensuring the diagram is in equilibrium with all forces and moments balanced.