Frequency difference to find a 20m whale

In summary: So you should make sure that the wavelength is small compared to the whale.In summary, the problem involves two coherent sources of sound waves with a phase difference, similar to a double slit problem. The formula for maximum y-value is given, and the question asks for the appropriate sonar frequency to detect a 20m long whale. The depth of the whale is given, and the phase velocity of the sonar waves is determined by the given values. It is important to ensure that the whale occupies only one maximum of the radiation pattern in order to locate it reliably.
bananabandana

Homework Statement

Please see attachment for diagram. The two boats are coherent sources of sound waves (phase difference ## \phi##) - i.e it's a double slit problem.
upload_2015-4-6_15-24-55.png

Prove the formula given for ## y_{max}##.
Suppose the whale is 20m long. How large should the sonar frequency ##f## be so that the whale can always be detected? Assume ## B=2.18\times 10^{9} Pa ## and ## \rho =1.05 \times 10^{3} \ kg ##

Homework Equations

$$ y_{max} = \frac{d \lambda (n+\frac{\phi}{2\pi})}{a} $$
Where ## y_{max}## is the ##y## value at which the two sources constructively interfere for a given depth, ##d##. The depth of the whale (the tube shaped thing) is ## d=350m##.

The phase velocity of the sonar waves, ## v_{p}## is given by:
$$ v_{p}=\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it sensible just to substitute ##y_{max}=20## and just do the algebra? ( I have already done the proof for ##y_{max}##.)This would seem the obvious thing to do from the diagram ( and since the question is only a couple of marks). But I'm just wondering if this would really work. It says earlier in the question that the whale is moving horizontally - so I'm just thinking there might be a more complete way to approach the problem, but I don't know how to do it...

Physics news on Phys.org
bananabandana said:

Homework Statement

Please see attachment for diagram. The two boats are coherent sources of sound waves (phase difference ## \phi##) - i.e it's a double slit problem.
View attachment 81564
Prove the formula given for ## y_{max}##.
Suppose the whale is 20m long. How large should the sonar frequency ##f## be so that the whale can always be detected? Assume ## B=2.18\times 10^{9} Pa ## and ## \rho =1.05 \times 10^{3} \ kg ##

Homework Equations

$$ y_{max} = \frac{d \lambda (n+\frac{\phi}{2\pi})}{a} $$
Where ## y_{max}## is the ##y## value at which the two sources constructively interfere for a given depth, ##d##. The depth of the whale (the tube shaped thing) is ## d=350m##.

The phase velocity of the sonar waves, ## v_{p}## is given by:
$$ v_{p}=\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it sensible just to substitute ##y_{max}=20## and just do the algebra? ( I have already done the proof for ##y_{max}##.)This would seem the obvious thing to do from the diagram ( and since the question is only a couple of marks). But I'm just wondering if this would really work. It says earlier in the question that the whale is moving horizontally - so I'm just thinking there might be a more complete way to approach the problem, but I don't know how to do it...
To locate the whale reliably, I suppose it must occupy one maximum of the radiation pattern. If it occupies more, its direction will be uncertain. If less, the return signal will be smaller than necessary. Notice that if the whale lies symmetrically across a pattern null, that will still be a null. The "head" will reflect one lobe and the "tail" the adjacent one, and adjacent lobes are in antiphase.

1. How is frequency difference used to find a 20m whale?

Frequency difference is used to find a 20m whale by analyzing the sound waves emitted by the whale. Each species of whale has a unique vocalization pattern with specific frequencies. By comparing the frequencies of the whale's vocalization to the known patterns, scientists can determine the species of the whale and estimate its size.

2. What equipment is needed to measure frequency difference for a 20m whale?

To measure frequency difference for a 20m whale, scientists use specialized acoustic equipment such as hydrophones and sonar systems. These devices can detect and record the sound waves emitted by the whale, allowing for analysis of the frequency differences.

3. How accurate is frequency difference in determining the size of a 20m whale?

The accuracy of frequency difference in determining the size of a 20m whale depends on various factors such as the quality of the equipment and the distance between the whale and the measurement device. Generally, frequency difference can provide a fairly accurate estimate of the size of a whale within a few meters.

4. Can frequency difference be used to track the movements of a 20m whale?

Yes, frequency difference can be used to track the movements of a 20m whale. By recording the frequency of the whale's vocalizations over time, scientists can track the whale's movements and migration patterns. This information can help in conservation efforts and understanding the behavior of these large marine mammals.

5. Are there any limitations to using frequency difference to find a 20m whale?

While frequency difference is a useful tool in finding a 20m whale, it does have some limitations. The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by environmental factors such as background noise and water temperature. Additionally, some whales may not produce vocalizations at certain times, making it difficult to use frequency difference to locate them.