Frequency or phase shift when using pulsed wave doppler

In summary, the conversation is about using ultrasound to measure cardiac strain and the physics behind doppler imaging. The medical student is asking why pulsed wave doppler measurements measure a phase shift instead of a change in frequency. The response explains that measuring a phase allows for a more precise estimation of frequency deviation compared to measuring a change in frequency over a specific time period. The conversation also touches on the limitations of measuring distances less than a wavelength.
mkh004
Hi,
I'm a medical student who is using ultrasound to measure cardiac strain. I'm trying to read up a bit on the physics behind doppler imaging (I did AP physics in high school), and I have a question for some genius out there. I keep reading that in pulsed wave doppler measurements, one does not measure the change in frequency, but a phase shift of the waves. Why?

Engineering news on Phys.org
To measure a freq. you have to count pulses over specific period of time , "gate" time. This period can't be too long, I'd think at least no more than 100 milliseconds for biological process, to keep update rate 10 Hz or so. This implies error in measurements, +-10 Hz. But if you measure a phase, there is no such limitation, and precision in estimation of deviation a frequency 360 times better for phase error 1 degree

Are you measuring distances less than a wavelength?

You typically are trying to measure position shifts of less than a wavelength between successive pulses.

Hi there,

First of all, it's great that you're interested in understanding the physics behind pulsed wave doppler measurements. I can provide some insight on the frequency and phase shift in this technique.

In pulsed wave doppler, a high frequency sound wave is transmitted into the body and then reflected back by moving blood cells. This reflected wave has a slightly different frequency due to the Doppler effect, which is caused by the motion of the blood cells. This change in frequency is measured and used to calculate the velocity of the blood flow.

However, in order to measure the Doppler shift accurately, the transmitted and reflected waves must have a consistent phase relationship. In other words, the peaks and troughs of the waves must line up in order for the frequency to be accurately measured. This is because the Doppler equation uses the difference in phase between the transmitted and reflected waves to calculate the velocity.

If there is a phase shift between the waves, it can lead to errors in the velocity measurement. This is why in pulsed wave doppler, the focus is on measuring the phase shift rather than the change in frequency. By measuring the phase shift, any errors caused by changes in frequency can be corrected for.

I hope this helps clarify why phase shift is used in pulsed wave doppler measurements. Keep up the curiosity and good luck with your studies!

What is the difference between frequency and phase shift in pulsed wave Doppler?

The frequency shift in pulsed wave Doppler refers to the change in frequency of the reflected sound waves from moving blood cells, which is used to calculate blood flow velocity. Phase shift, on the other hand, refers to the change in the phase (or timing) of the reflected sound waves, which can be used to determine the direction of blood flow.

How does pulsed wave Doppler measure blood flow velocity?

Pulsed wave Doppler uses high-frequency sound waves to measure the velocity of blood flow. The ultrasound waves are emitted in short pulses and then received by a transducer, which measures the frequency and phase shift of the reflected waves to calculate the velocity of blood flow.

What factors can affect the accuracy of pulsed wave Doppler measurements?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of pulsed wave Doppler measurements, including the angle of the ultrasound beam in relation to the direction of blood flow, the depth of the vessel being measured, and the presence of any obstructions or turbulence in the blood flow.

Can pulsed wave Doppler be used to measure blood flow in any type of vessel?

No, pulsed wave Doppler is most commonly used to measure blood flow in large arteries and veins that are located close to the surface of the body. It is not suitable for measuring blood flow in smaller vessels or deep within the body, as the ultrasound waves may not be able to penetrate deeply enough.

What are the potential clinical applications of pulsed wave Doppler?

Pulsed wave Doppler has a wide range of clinical applications, including evaluating blood flow in the heart and major blood vessels, assessing blood flow in organs such as the liver and kidneys, and detecting abnormalities in blood flow in conditions such as heart disease and blood clots.