Friction-less / Friction contacts in Ansys

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of friction and frictionless contact types in Ansys and how changing the analysis settings can affect the interaction between two bodies. The speaker also mentions the importance of the pinball region radius in contact conditions and suggests using options like "automatic bisection" and "predict for impact" to improve contact detection. They express gratitude for the information provided.
Mohamed_Wael
As far as I know both the friction or the frictionless contact types in Ansys doesn't prevent motion in the perpendicular direction. I have been following this tutorial https://goo.gl/w8sIlG (no need to open) but I have found something strange when I do the same but without changing the analysis settings and changing the time steps the 2 bodies interfere with each other -just I expected from frictionless contact type- but when I change the analysis settings time step they doesn't interfere https://goo.gl/0xSw4c (6 sec video) and they behave like what happens in real life. I don't understand why this happens?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Contact conditions are complicated, one thing to keep an eye on is the pinball region radius. If your sub-steps move a part farther than the size of the contact region's pinball radius, it will never detect contact and the parts will pass right through each other. Some ways to help with this are the "automatic bisection" and "predict for impact" options in a contact element's options.

Last edited:
Likes Mohamed_Wael
Thanks , this was very helpful :D

What is friction-less contact in Ansys?

Friction-less contact in Ansys refers to a type of contact behavior between two bodies where there is no resistance or frictional force between them. It assumes that the two bodies are perfectly smooth and have no surface imperfections that would cause friction.

What is friction contact in Ansys?

Friction contact in Ansys refers to a type of contact behavior between two bodies where there is resistance or frictional force between them. It takes into account surface imperfections and assumes that the two bodies are not perfectly smooth.

How is friction contact defined in Ansys?

Friction contact in Ansys is defined by using a coefficient of friction, which represents the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force between the two bodies. This coefficient is used to calculate the frictional forces between the bodies.

What is the difference between friction-less and friction contact in Ansys?

The main difference between friction-less and friction contact in Ansys is the presence or absence of frictional forces between the two bodies. Friction-less contact assumes no friction, while friction contact takes into account surface imperfections and includes frictional forces in the analysis.

How do I apply friction-less or friction contact in Ansys?

To apply friction-less or friction contact in Ansys, the contact type needs to be specified in the contact definition. For friction-less contact, the "Bonded" option should be selected, while for friction contact, the "Frictional" option should be chosen and the coefficient of friction should be defined.