Functiosn with multiple variables

In summary, the function g(x,y) = 3x^2-x-y+y^2 has a gradient of 0 at the point (1/6;1/2), but no maximum.
Niles

Homework Statement

1) I have a C1-function f(u,v), and f(0,0) = 1, df/du(0,0) = 3 and df/dv(0,0)=5. I have to find k'(1), when k(x) = f(x^2-1;x-1).

2) A function g(x,y) = 3x^2-x-y+y^2. I have to find the minimum and maximum of the function on D_1 = [0,1] x [0,1] and D_2 = [1,2] x [0,1].

The Attempt at a Solution

1) g(x,y) = x^2-1 and h(x,y) = x-1. dk/dx = (df/du)*(dg/dx) + (df/dv)*(dh/dx). I know g and h, but I have to find f - how do I do that?

2) I know how to find maximum and minimum of a function, but I don't know what they mean by "on D_1 = [0,1] x [0,1] and D_2 = [1,2] x [0,1]."?

EDIT: Sorry for the spelling-error in the title.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved #1 - simply by using the chain rule:

dk/dx = (df/du)(g(x),h(x))*(dg/dx) + (df/dv)(g(x),h(x))*(dh/dx)

In my book, the arguments weren't included.. that confused me.

For #2, I have found the critical points as usual, and the minimum is (1/6;1/2). But still, the D_1 and D_2 confuses me - what do they mean by that?

Last edited:
Niles said:
2) I know how to find maximum and minimum of a function, but I don't know what they mean by "on D_1 = [0,1] x [0,1] and D_2 = [1,2] x [0,1]."?

These refer to two domains. D1 is the set [itex]\{(x,y):x\in[0,1]\ \text{and}\ y\in[0,1]\}[/itex]. D2 is the set [itex]\{(x,y):x\in[1,2]\ \text{and}\ y\in[0,1]\}[/itex].

Ok, thanks. I have another question, but this is about the gradient of a function.

Take a look at the attached level curve of a function. At which point is the gradient 0?
I believe it is C, since the gradient there is 0 - but apparently it is A - why is that?

And btw, to find the critical points in the two sets, I can look at the function and the interval, and see what f(x,y) = 3x^2-x-y+y^2 has to be less than or equal and what is has to be bigger than or equal, and solve it from there?

I get that the minimum is -1/3 - I get that there is no maximum, which I don't understand. I just find the gradient, and equal it to zero - I get one result, and by processing it, I get the minimum-point. How come there is no maximum?

Thank you for all your help so far.

Attachments

• level.GIF
    level.GIF
    5.8 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Or perhaps I should "extend" the question and ask, what the link between the gradient and the level curve is.

+ the other question about the minimum/maximum.

Related to Functiosn with multiple variables

1. What is a function with multiple variables?

A function with multiple variables is a mathematical concept that involves using more than one independent variable to determine an output. It can be represented as f(x,y) or f(x,y,z), where x, y, and z are the independent variables and f is the function itself.

2. How do you graph a function with multiple variables?

To graph a function with multiple variables, you will need to use a three-dimensional graph. Each axis will represent one of the independent variables, and the height or depth of the graph will represent the output of the function. You can also use a contour plot to represent the function on a two-dimensional graph.

3. What is the difference between a function with multiple variables and a single-variable function?

A single-variable function only has one independent variable, while a function with multiple variables has more than one independent variable. This means that the output of a single-variable function is determined by only one factor, while the output of a function with multiple variables is determined by two or more factors.

4. How do you find the domain and range of a function with multiple variables?

The domain of a function with multiple variables is the set of all possible values that the independent variables can take. The range is the set of all possible values that the output can take. To find the domain and range, you will need to analyze the function and determine the constraints on the independent variables.

5. What are some real-life applications of functions with multiple variables?

Functions with multiple variables are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and biology. They are used to model complex systems and make predictions based on multiple factors. For example, in economics, a production function with multiple variables can be used to determine the optimal combination of inputs to maximize profit.