Getting data from Wii remote signal

In summary, the conversation discusses using a wii remote to track an infra red LED and extracting its coordinates. The Wikipedia entry mentioned provides information on third-party use of the wii remote and projects involving PC interfacing, including hardware and code. The second entry from Johnny Lee is also recommended for reference.
Malhoosh
Hello ,

I'm working on a project where I'm using a wii remote to track an infra red LED. The wii remote is connected to the computer via bluetooth. I've no experience with dealing with the wii before.

My questions are:

1- How can I read the data send by the wii remote to the computer ?
2- How can I extract from this data the position (coordinates) of the infra red LED seen by the wii remote ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The following entry from Wikipedia may be of interest to you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Remote#Third-party_use

Note the links to the various projects involving PC interfacing--I'd take a look through them to see what sorts of hardware is used, along with maybe some usable code.

EDIT: Johnny Lee seems to have done pretty much the same project (second entry):
http://johnnylee.net/projects/wii/

1. How does the Wii remote signal work?

The Wii remote uses a combination of infrared and Bluetooth technologies to send and receive data. The infrared sensor tracks the position and motion of the remote, while the Bluetooth connection allows it to communicate with the Wii console.

2. Can I access the raw data from the Wii remote signal?

Yes, it is possible to access the raw data from the Wii remote signal by using a software development kit (SDK) or application programming interface (API). This allows you to access the accelerometer, gyroscope, and other sensors in the remote.

3. How accurate is the data from the Wii remote signal?

The accuracy of the data from the Wii remote signal depends on various factors such as distance from the sensor bar, lighting conditions, and the type of movement being tracked. Generally, the data is accurate enough for gaming purposes, but may not be precise enough for scientific research.

4. Can I use the Wii remote signal for motion capture?

Yes, the Wii remote signal can be used for motion capture, but it may not be as accurate as other dedicated motion capture systems. Additionally, the data may need to be calibrated and processed to be used for motion capture.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Wii remote signal for data collection?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Wii remote signal for data collection. These may include the need for a clear line of sight between the remote and the sensor bar, interference from other infrared sources, and the limited range of the Bluetooth connection. Additionally, the data may need to be processed and calibrated for accurate results.