Go for a Master's or Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, if you want to do aerospace engineering, getting a bachelor's is a good idea. You might make a little more money per year, but you'll be able to do more in the long run and the job market for aerospace engineers is good.
Dan Card
Hey guys, right now I am attending University of Michigan pursuing Aerospace Engineering, my question is should I go straight to my master's or just get a bachelor's.

My plan is that I could take some of my actual engineering courses next year, get an internship over the following summer then go back to summer and finish up and attain my Bachelor's. From there I could go back to wherever I had the internship at or find somewhere else and have them offer to pay for me to go back to college and get my master's and go back and work with them for some time.

I kind of wanted to just get my Bachelor's so that I could find an internship or a job and find what part of Aerospace engineering so that I could if I wanted to go back and attain my master's in that concentration(Or whatever it would be called)

So should I go for a Master's or should a bachelor's be just fine? How much do employer's care if you have a Bachelor's vs. a Master's. What's the chances of them offering to pay for me to get my master's if I were hired with only a Bachelor's.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of companies that do offer to pay for your masters while you work for them, I'd look into that. Masters is definitely good, but a bachelors in Aerospace is good too, actually more than good.

Likes Dan Card
juju1 said:
There are a lot of companies that do offer to pay for your masters while you work for them, I'd look into that. Masters is definitely good, but a bachelors in Aerospace is good too, actually more than good.
Cool thank you. I don't know people have made it seem like if you have a Bachelor's that you will have an extremely hard time finding a job but like what I was saying earlier I could get a company that would offer to pay for my education to get a master's so it wouldn't even matter :)

Dan Card said:
Hey guys, right now I am attending University of Michigan pursuing Aerospace Engineering, my question is should I go straight to my master's or just get a bachelor's.

My plan is that I could take some of my actual engineering courses next year, get an internship over the following summer then go back to summer and finish up and attain my Bachelor's. From there I could go back to wherever I had the internship at or find somewhere else and have them offer to pay for me to go back to college and get my master's and go back and work with them for some time.

I kind of wanted to just get my Bachelor's so that I could find an internship or a job and find what part of Aerospace engineering so that I could if I wanted to go back and attain my master's in that concentration(Or whatever it would be called)

So should I go for a Master's or should a bachelor's be just fine? How much do employer's care if you have a Bachelor's vs. a Master's. What's the chances of them offering to pay for me to get my master's if I were hired with only a Bachelor's.

There are a few schools of thought and a few questions you need to ask yourself.

1. What type of work do you want to do within aerospace engineering?
3. Will you pay for your masters degree, or will you get a full scholarship?
2. Will you work for a company in a program similar to the GE edison program, where part of the goal of the program is to get your masters degree?

Often people will enter the workplace making more money per year (an extra 10k) for having a masters degree. Once working, withtin the company you are not guaranteed a pay bump when you get their masters degree. If you have a great manager you might, but some of the big aerospace companies do not do that. At least at certain sites.

You might think hey I'll just enter the workforce a year earlier. Well typically raises work on a percentage basis. Unless you are a top performer, ussually you'll just get a percentage increase. starting out 10k higher will equate to higher raises every year.

Also working full time and attending grad school is a real challenge. Its a lot harder than undergraduate, and being a part time student does not allow you to truly concentrate on your studies.

A lot of people say go get a company to pay for your masters. Its not a bad idea ( I did it). But if you can manage to get a full ride, and the type of work you want to do really requires a masters degree (fluid dynamics, control theory, etc), then it may be a good idea to get your masters right away.

By all means, get the BS Aero first. Don't even think about bypassing it. This is the entry level ticket so to speak, and without it, people in a position to hire will look at you strangely forever.

Likes donpacino

1. What is the difference between a Master's and Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering?

A Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering is an undergraduate degree that typically takes four years to complete. It provides a broad foundation in the field of aerospace engineering, covering the fundamental principles and theories. On the other hand, a Master's degree in Aerospace Engineering is a graduate degree that usually takes two years to complete. It delves deeper into specialized areas of aerospace engineering and requires students to conduct research and complete a thesis project.

2. What are the job prospects for those with a Master's or Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering?

Both Master's and Bachelor's degree holders in Aerospace Engineering have strong job prospects in the aerospace industry. They can work in various fields such as aircraft design, development, testing, and maintenance. They can also work in space exploration, satellite systems, and defense systems. The demand for aerospace engineers is expected to grow in the coming years, providing opportunities for both degree holders.

3. What are the admission requirements for a Master's or Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering?

The admission requirements vary depending on the university and program. Generally, a Bachelor's degree in a related field such as mechanical or electrical engineering is required for admission to a Master's program. Some universities may also require a minimum GPA and GRE scores. For a Bachelor's degree, high school transcripts, standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation are usually required.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in science or engineering to pursue a Master's or Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have a strong background in science and mathematics to pursue a degree in Aerospace Engineering. A Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering field is usually a prerequisite for a Master's program in Aerospace Engineering. The coursework for both degrees involves advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles.

5. Can I specialize in a particular area of aerospace engineering during my Master's or Bachelor's program?

Yes, both Master's and Bachelor's programs in Aerospace Engineering offer opportunities for students to specialize in a particular area of the field. Some common specializations include aerodynamics, propulsion, structures, and controls. Students can also choose to focus on a specific industry, such as commercial aviation or space exploration. Specializing can help students develop a deeper understanding and expertise in their chosen area of aerospace engineering.