Heat and temperature question with calorimetry

In summary: That may help you to understand the negative sign of the external heat added. In summary, the question asks for the final temperature of a metal immersed in water after 8.0 × 104J of heat is added. Using the equation Q=mcΔT and accounting for both the metal and water, the final temperature is calculated to be 303.6 K. The negative sign on the external heat added indicates that heat is being lost by the system, not gained.
Lisa Marie

Homework Statement

2.0kg of a metal (for which c = 620 J kg K ) is immersed in 1.5kg of water, initially at 20◦ . What is the final temperature if 8.0 × 104J are added as heat?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to get the correct answer what I did was:
Qadded heat+mcΔTiron+mcΔTwater=0
-8×104 +2(620)(Tf-293)+1.5(4200)(Tf-293)=0
doing the algebra will give you 303.6 K which is correct...but I was just wondering why is the heat added negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lisa Marie said:

Homework Statement

2.0kg of a metal (for which c = 620 J kg K ) is immersed in 1.5kg of water, initially at 20◦ . What is the final temperature if 8.0 × 104J are added as heat?

Homework Equations

Q=mcΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was able to get the correct answer what I did was:
Qadded heat+mcΔTiron+mcΔTwater=0
-8×104 +2(620)(Tf-293)+1.5(4200)(Tf-293)=0
doing the algebra will give you 303.6 K which is correct...but I was just wondering why is the heat added negative?

I assume the metal initial temp. was 20C also.
Your equation is conceptually somewhat unwieldy. More obviously,
heat gained by water + heat gained by metal = external heat added
which is your equation also if you move the external heat to the rhs of your equation.

Last edited:

1. How do heat and temperature differ?

Heat is a form of energy that can be transferred between objects, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object.

2. What is calorimetry?

Calorimetry is the science of measuring the amount of heat transferred during a chemical or physical process.

3. How does calorimetry work?

Calorimetry involves using a calorimeter, which is a device designed to measure the heat absorbed or released during a chemical or physical process. The heat is measured by monitoring the change in temperature of a substance, often water, surrounding the reaction.

4. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius. It is a characteristic property of a substance and is often used in calorimetry calculations.

5. What are some practical applications of calorimetry?

Calorimetry is used in many industries, including food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and energy production. It is also used in chemistry labs to determine the heat of a reaction and can be used to study the efficiency of engines and other mechanical systems.