Heating a soup (solving this problem with a DE)

In summary: The earlier problem, as far as I can tell, is worded the exactly same way, but I will include it here:In summary, you can't solve this problem without knowing the original temperature, at t= 0 or some other specific value of t.
JessicaHelena
Homework Statement
A soup is heated from ##0<t<t_1## on an outdoor camp stove, and is cooled. The temperature ##T(t)## satisfies ##T' + 0.1T = q(t)## when ##0<t<t_1##, and ##T' + 0.1T = 0## when ##t1 < t## where ##q(t)## represents the heat used to warm up the soup. How long will it take for the soup to be at ##40##°C?
Relevant Equations
##\frac{Dt}{dt} = k(Te - T)##
##T(t) = Te + (T0 - Te)e^{-kt}##
I'm having quite a bit of a problem with this one. I've managed to figure out that ##T_0 = 0##. However, not knowing what ##q(t)## is bothers me, although it seems that I could theoretically solve the problem without knowing it. For ##t>t_1##, integration by parts gives me ##T = Ce^{-t/10}## where ##C = T(t_1)##. And to get ##T(t_1)##, I solve the inhomogeneous equation with ##q(t)##, by letting ##T = ue^{-t/10}##. THen I get that ##u = \int q(t) e^{t/10} dt##. But where do I go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are already told that T'+ 0.1T= q(t) for t less than t1 and T'+ 0.1T= 0 for t larger than t1 so your "dT/dt= k(Te- T0)" is irrelevant. You are asked when the temperature of the soup will be 40 degrees.

You are correct that you can't solve this without knowing what the original temperature, at t= 0 or some other specific value of t. You say "I managed to figure out that T0 is 0". How? Was the initial temperature of the soup given? If the initial temperature was 0C then it was frozen. Was that given in the problem?

It wasn't given, but that was part of an earlier question which I frankly guessed and got right.

Might I be able to solve for q(t) from T0? I don't quite see a way for that, however...

No, q(t), the heat coming into the soup, is completely independent of any information you have given here and has to be given separately. You have already told us that your original post did not include all of the information you have. Perhaps q(t) was also "part of an earlier question".

@HallsofIvy
The earlier problem, as far as I can tell, is worded the exactly same way, but I will include it here:
Screenshot 2019-12-16 at 12.10.43 PM.png

HallsofIvy said:
You are asked when the temperature of the soup will be 40 degrees.
The question (if I googled the right problem) is a little bit different - one is asked to estimate the number of minutes for which the porridge will stay at the optimal temperature of 40°±1° (because Goldilocks won't eat the porridge that is too hot or too cold).
Edit: and there's also a hint that says to use the (differential) equation but not solve it (which is good enough for the estimate).

1. How does a differential equation (DE) help in heating a soup?

A differential equation is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. In the context of heating a soup, a DE can be used to model the change in temperature of the soup over time, taking into account factors such as the initial temperature of the soup, the heat source, and the rate of heat transfer.

2. What is the process for solving a DE to heat a soup?

The process for solving a DE to heat a soup involves first identifying the variables involved, such as the initial temperature, the rate of heat transfer, and the time. Then, a suitable DE is chosen to model the change in temperature over time. This DE is then solved using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or using an integrating factor.

3. Can a DE be used to account for external factors that may affect the heating of a soup?

Yes, a DE can be modified to include external factors such as the ambient temperature, the type of heat source, and the material of the pot used to heat the soup. This allows for a more accurate and realistic model of the heating process.

4. Is it necessary to use a DE to heat a soup, or are there other methods?

While a DE may not be the only method for heating a soup, it is a useful tool for modeling and predicting the change in temperature over time. Other methods may include using thermometers or temperature sensors to monitor the soup's temperature, or using trial and error to adjust the heat source.

5. Are there any limitations to using a DE to heat a soup?

One limitation of using a DE to heat a soup is that it assumes the soup is well-mixed and homogeneous, meaning the temperature is the same throughout. In reality, there may be pockets of colder or hotter soup, which may affect the accuracy of the DE model. Additionally, the DE may not account for factors such as evaporation or heat loss due to external factors like wind or opening the pot lid.