Help Finding Amplitude of Voltage Across Capacitor At Resonant Frequency

In summary, the conversation was about finding the amplitude of Vc at the resonant frequency with a given current, and the equations and steps involved in solving for it were discussed. The solution involved multiplying the impedance equation by the complex conjugate of the denominator and setting the imaginary part of the numerator to zero to find the condition for a real impedance."
mmmboh
Hi, here is the question:
29lz5t3.jpg

For part b) I have to find the amplitude of Vc at the resonant frequency with I=1A, I have found Zeq and well here are my equations:

[tex]\frac{jwL+R}{\ jwRC-w^2LC+1}[/tex] and I have the equation for w at the resonance:w= [tex]\sqrt[2]{\frac{L-R^2C}{\L^2C}}[/tex]

I know at the resonant the impedance is real..but I don't know what to do with my equations, can someone help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply both the numerator and the denominator of the impedance by the complex conjugate of the denominator. That makes the denominator real. Then it is easy to find the condition for real impedance: when the imaginary part of the numerator is zero.

ehild

Oh I figured it out...thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Help Finding Amplitude of Voltage Across Capacitor At Resonant Frequency

1. What is the resonant frequency of a capacitor?

The resonant frequency of a capacitor is the frequency at which the capacitor exhibits maximum voltage across its terminals. It is also the frequency at which the capacitor has minimum reactance and maximum capacitance.

2. How do I calculate the resonant frequency of a capacitor?

The resonant frequency of a capacitor can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/2π√(LC), where f is the resonant frequency in hertz, L is the inductance in henrys, and C is the capacitance in farads.

3. Why is it important to find the amplitude of voltage across a capacitor at resonant frequency?

Knowing the amplitude of voltage across a capacitor at resonant frequency is important because it helps determine the maximum voltage that the capacitor can handle without breaking down. This information is crucial in designing circuits and selecting appropriate components.

4. How can I measure the amplitude of voltage across a capacitor at resonant frequency?

The amplitude of voltage across a capacitor at resonant frequency can be measured using an oscilloscope. Connect the capacitor in series with an inductor and a function generator. Vary the frequency of the function generator until the voltage across the capacitor reaches its maximum value. This will be the resonant frequency, and the amplitude of the voltage can be read from the oscilloscope.

5. Can the resonant frequency of a capacitor change?

Yes, the resonant frequency of a capacitor can change depending on the inductance and capacitance values in the circuit. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and voltage fluctuations. Therefore, it is essential to consider these factors when designing circuits that rely on the resonant frequency of a capacitor.