HELP having trouble finding calories

• Thread starter KatParker35
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calories
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in finding the number of food calories used to climb up a rope. The other person explains that calories are a measure of work or energy and suggests finding the potential energy gained by lifting a person up 10 meters. They also mention that the answer can be converted to calories. The person seeking help then thanks the other person for their quick reply and realizes that they have all the necessary information to solve the problem.
KatParker35
HELP! having trouble finding calories

ok, this is probably the easiest thing in the world, but i guess i wasn't paying attention that day in class...ok, i have the mass, and then length a person climbed up a rope, and it wants me to find the number of food calories used to climb 10m up the rope...i have no idea..so ANY help would be appreciated...this is all the info i have m=50kg and L=10m...

Physics news on Phys.org
Calories is a measure of work or energy. What is the work needed to lift a person up 10 meters? That is, what is his change in gravitational potential? Your answer will be in Joules, but 1 Joule = 0.239 Calories.

well thank you for replying so quickly, but is there like an equation or something i can use to find the calories?

mezarashi already hinted to you - "gravitational potential"
Find the potential energy gained. This is directly proportional to the mass, distance vertically traveled (height), and force of gravity. Then once you have your answer. Convert it to calories.

KatParker35, when you analyze a problem like this. You must think to yourself - they are telling me vertical distance travelled, then mass of the person. Why are they giving these hints? All you need to do is apply a little thought and then fill in the little gaps.

Last edited:
thank you very much! once you said PE it clicked that i had m,g, and h...thanks again!

What are calories and why are they important?

Calories are a unit of energy that our body needs to function properly. They are important because they provide us with the energy we need to carry out daily activities and maintain vital bodily functions.

How can I calculate my daily calorie intake?

Your daily calorie intake is based on a variety of factors including your age, gender, height, weight, and physical activity level. There are online calculators and apps available that can help you determine your recommended daily calorie intake.

What are some common sources of calories?

Some common sources of calories include carbohydrates, fats, and proteins found in foods such as fruits, vegetables, grains, meats, and dairy products. It is important to choose nutrient-dense foods that provide a balance of these macronutrients.

How many calories should I be consuming to maintain a healthy weight?

The amount of calories you should consume to maintain a healthy weight depends on your individual needs. It is recommended to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian to determine your specific calorie needs.

What are some tips for managing calorie intake?

Some tips for managing calorie intake include practicing portion control, choosing whole and unprocessed foods, incorporating physical activity into your daily routine, and being mindful of your hunger and fullness cues. It is also important to maintain a balanced and varied diet to ensure adequate intake of essential nutrients.