Help with an (I think) homogeneous DE.

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneous
In summary, the given problem is a differential equation with a non-homogeneous numerator and denominator. The attempted substitution of y = vx did not lead to a separable equation. Further methods need to be explored to solve this equation.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

[itex]y' = \frac{2xy + y^{2} + 1}{y(2+3y)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried making a substitution in the case that it is homogeneous, but it didn't make the equation separable. It's not linear, it's not exact, and not separable.

Does it become exact when multiplying by some function?

I just need a little guidance for what method I should use to solve.

After making a substitution y = vx,

[itex]v + xv' = \frac{2x^{2}v + v^{2}x^{2} + 1}{vx(2+3vx)}[/itex]

This doesn't seem to simplify into anything separablem, after doing some algebra. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

[itex]y' = \frac{2xy + y^{2} + 1}{y(2+3y)}[/itex]First I tried making a substitution in the case that it is homogeneous,

but it didn't make the equation separable.

You don't want to waste time trying the ##y=vx## substitution on the offhand chance it might be homogeneous. You write it as ##Mdx + Ndy = 0## and check whether or not ##M## and ##N## are homogeneous of the same degree. In this case neither ##M## nor ##N## are homogeneous of any degree, much less the same degree.

Other than that observation, I agree with what you say about the equation. Unfortunately, I don't have any helpful suggestions on what to do with this one. I presume you know it is not a given that a random DE like this admits an easy solution. Where did you get this problem?

Last edited:
It's just in the problem set of my textbook, after covering a few methods. I'm pretty sure I wrote it down correctly.

Thanks

Nope, copied the numerator from one and denomenator from that other.

Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to apply what you said about testing for homogenous equations.

Related to Help with an (I think) homogeneous DE.

1. What is a homogeneous differential equation?

A homogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where all the terms can be written as a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the equation is "homogeneous" in the sense that all the terms have the same degree.

2. How do I solve a homogeneous differential equation?

To solve a homogeneous differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. It is also important to identify the type of homogeneous equation (e.g. first-order, second-order) and use the appropriate solution techniques.

3. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation?

The main difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous differential equation is that in a non-homogeneous equation, there is an additional term that is not a linear combination of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the equation cannot be written in the form of a homogeneous equation.

4. Can a homogeneous differential equation have non-constant coefficients?

Yes, a homogeneous differential equation can have non-constant coefficients. The coefficients in a homogeneous equation can be functions of the independent variable, but they must be the same for all terms in the equation.

5. Why are homogeneous differential equations important in science?

Homogeneous differential equations are important in science because they are used to model many physical phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and mechanical systems. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of these systems, making them a valuable tool in scientific research and problem-solving.