Help With Negative Phases in a Numerical Term

In summary, negative phases in a numerical term refer to the presence of negative numbers or exponents in an equation or expression. They can occur due to various reasons and can be solved using algebraic rules. Negative phases are not always a bad thing and can be used in real-world applications to solve problems and make predictions in fields such as physics, finance, and engineering.
Blanchdog
Homework Statement
Verify that ##T^{tot}=\frac{n_2~cos \theta_2}{n_0~cos \theta_0}\frac{|t^{0\rightarrow1}|^2|t^{1\rightarrow2}|^2}{|e^{-ikd~cos\theta_1} - r^{0\leftarrow1}r^{1\rightarrow2}e^{ikd~cos\theta_1}|^2}## simplifies to ##T^{tot}=\frac{T^{max}}{1 + F~sin^2 \frac{\Phi}{2}}## assuming all angles are real. Assume that all light is s polarized as the equations are precisely the same for p polarized light in terms of Fresnel coefficients.
Relevant Equations
Included in image below because I didn't want to have to LaTeX them all.
Finesse attempt pt 1.png

Finesse attempt pt2.png

I think I've got the numerator part figured out, but I'm really stuck on what to do with those negative phases in the last term and how to get this to all come together in the end. I feel like I must have made a mistake somewhere, but can't find it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
One error that I think I spotted is right by 4.14: In evaluating ## |terms|^2 ##, you need to multiply "terms" by its complex conjugate.

1. What are negative phases in a numerical term?

Negative phases in a numerical term refer to the negative values or coefficients that are present in a mathematical expression or equation. These negative phases can affect the overall outcome or result of the calculation.

2. Why do negative phases occur in numerical terms?

Negative phases can occur in numerical terms due to various reasons, such as the presence of negative numbers in the data being analyzed, the use of subtraction or division operations, or the inclusion of negative coefficients in the equation.

3. How do negative phases impact numerical calculations?

Negative phases can significantly impact numerical calculations as they can change the sign and magnitude of the final result. This can lead to incorrect or unexpected outcomes, especially in complex mathematical expressions.

4. How can one handle negative phases in numerical terms?

One can handle negative phases in numerical terms by carefully identifying and addressing them in the calculation. This can involve using proper mathematical operations, converting negative numbers to positive numbers, or adjusting the equation to account for the negative coefficients.

5. Are there any specific techniques for dealing with negative phases in numerical terms?

Yes, there are specific techniques for dealing with negative phases in numerical terms, such as the use of absolute value, the distribution property, or the rules of signs. It is essential to understand the underlying mathematical principles and choose the appropriate technique based on the specific situation.