Help with this notation -- some sort of norm?

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation used in machine learning and how to minimize the euclidean length of a vector. The recommended approach is to find a good text with a consistent notation and learn from it. The symbol "1 with a vertical line through its back" can have multiple meanings, but in this example it is used as an indicator function.
SELFMADE
I need help understanding this notation, what does this mean?

Squared of 2-norm?

1. Homework Statement

4Xjhm1A.jpg

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
yes. Say ##\mathbf b = \mathbf{y - Xw}##. I assume that b is real valued for this example. Say you want to minimize the euclidean length of ##\mathbf b##. You write that as ##min \big(\mathbf b^T \mathbf b\big)^\frac{1}{2}##. But square roots are unpleasant to work with, so you then recognize that if you minimize the squared euclidean length of ##\mathbf b## then that also must minimize the euclidean length of ##\mathbf b##. (Why must this be the case?). Hence you recover the problem above that reads as: ##min \big(\mathbf b^T \mathbf b\big)##.

What you have there is the setup for the Normal Equations, and doing ordinary least squares estimations. There are two approaches to deriving the solution for an over-determined system of equations -- one involves calculus and the other involves wielding orthogonality. Both approaches are worth understanding and thinking on.

Likes SELFMADE
Thank you for your reply. So my hunch was right.

I am learning Machine Learning by myself. I have BSEE but I am encountering many symbols/notations that I don't understand.

For example, what does the "1 with a vertical line through its back" mean?

I know as far as E stands for expected value.

ZET1L38.jpg

Thanks

You'
SELFMADE said:
Thank you for your reply. So my hunch was right.

I am learning Machine Learning by myself. I have BSEE but I am encountering many symbols/notations that I don't understand.

For example, what does the "1 with a vertical line through its back" mean?

I know as far as E stands for expected value.

ZET1L38.jpg

Thanks

My recommendation is to find a good text like "Learning From Data" and learn from that text (plus its echapters). (The book is quite cheap at $30 in the US, though due to peculiarities with licensing, $100 in Canada?) There is an associated free course with the same title at work.caltech.edu, and also on itunes store.

More to the point: a good text will have an appendix that lists and defines all the notation that it uses. Unfortunately notation is not standardized or uniform between authors.

A ##\mathbf 1## will tend to mean a ones vector or an indicator function or sometimes even the identity matrix. Here it is an indicator function. I personally prefer a ##\mathbf 1## to mean ones vector, ##\mathbf I## to mean identity matrix, and ##\mathbb I(Y = 1)## to denote an indicator function, but the fundamental issues is non-homogeneity of notation in the space --- again my solution is that you can homogenize things when starting off by picking one good source to learn from that has its own consistent notation. (Then once you've mastered that one source, you can much more easily infer / guess other people's notation as your branch out.)

Good luck.

Likes SELFMADE

What is a norm in mathematics?

A norm is a mathematical concept that measures the size or length of a vector in a vector space. It assigns a positive value to each vector, with the value of zero only assigned to the zero vector. Norms are commonly used in various fields of mathematics, such as linear algebra, functional analysis, and differential equations.

What is the difference between a norm and a metric?

While both norms and metrics are mathematical concepts that measure distance or size, they differ in their definitions and properties. A norm is a function that maps a vector to a positive value, while a metric is a function that maps two points to a non-negative value. Additionally, norms are defined on vector spaces, while metrics are defined on general sets.

What are the commonly used norms in mathematics?

Some of the commonly used norms in mathematics include the Euclidean norm, also known as the 2-norm, the Manhattan norm, also known as the 1-norm, and the maximum norm, also known as the infinity norm. Other popular norms include the p-norm, where p is any positive real number, and the Frobenius norm, also known as the matrix norm.

How do you calculate the 2-norm of a vector?

The 2-norm of a vector, also known as the Euclidean norm, can be calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of each element in the vector. In other words, if a vector is represented by (x1, x2, ..., xn), its 2-norm can be calculated as √(x1^2 + x2^2 + ... + xn^2).

Why are norms important in mathematics?

Norms are important in mathematics because they provide a way to measure the size or length of vectors, which are fundamental objects in many mathematical fields. They also have various properties and applications, such as in optimization problems, functional analysis, and statistics. Norms also help to define important concepts such as convergence and continuity in mathematics.