Notation for changing rows in a matrix

In summary: So this is not the same as ## R2 \leftrightarrow R3, R1 \leftrightarrow R3 ##.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of notation for elementary row operations in a linear algebra course. The speaker mentions that they interpret R1 <-> R2 to mean swap row 1 and row 2, but then questions if this notation is correct. They suggest using right-pointing arrows, R1 -> R2, to indicate that row 1 goes to row 2, but acknowledges that this may be ambiguous. The speaker prefers two approaches for notation: using a single R1 <-> R2 for swapping two rows, or using R1 -> R2' and R2 -> R1'
ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1686280663310.png

What was wrong with the notation I used for showing that I has swapped the rows? The marker put a purple ?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret R1 <-> R2 to mean swap row 1 and row 2. But then you put R2 <-> R1, so that would swap them back where they started.
The note that your teacher put there is a little troublesome.
I would use right-pointing arrows, R1 -> R2 to indicate that row 1 goes to row 2. But then does it overwrite row 2? It's a little ambiguous.
I would prefer one of these two approaches:
1) A single R1 <-> R2.
CORRECTION: There is a level of standardization of the notation that I was not aware of. This option #2 is wrong.
2) R1 -> R2' and R2 -> R1'

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
I would interpret R1 <-> R2 to mean swap row 1 and row 2. But then you put R2 <-> R1, so that would swap them back where they started.
I would use right-pointing arrows, R1 -> R2 to indicate that row 1 goes to row 2. But then does it overwrite row 2? It's a little ambiguous.
1) A single R1 <-> R2.
Thank you for you reply @FactChecker!

Your approaches are very helpful. The course textbook uses the first which I think I will use.

Many thanks!

CORRECTION: There is a level of standardization of the notation that I was not aware of. This post is wrong.
ChiralSuperfields said:
The course textbook uses the first which I think I will use.
The second approach would be more useful when several rows are moved, but not necessarily swapped.
If you were going to move row 1 to row 2, row 2 to row 3, and row 3 to row 1, you could put:
R1 -> R2' and R2 -> R2' and R3 -> R1'.

Last edited:
Likes ChiralSuperfields
FactChecker said:
The second approach would be more useful when several rows are moved, but not necessarily swapped.
If you were going to move row 1 to row 2, row 2 to row 3, and row 3 to row 1, you could put:
Thank you for your reply @FactChecker!

FactChecker said:
1) A single R1 <-> R2.
Why are you inventing your own notation? There is a universally recognised notation for elementary row operations, in this case R1 <-> R2 (or rather ## R1 \leftrightarrow R2 ##).

FactChecker said:
No, do NOT do this, rotating three rows is not an elementary row operation. To achieve this you should write ## R1 \leftrightarrow R2, R1 \leftrightarrow R3 ##.

Likes ChiralSuperfields, FactChecker and DrClaude
I read it as a wrong positioning. I think it should have been
$$
A\stackrel{R_1\leftrightarrow R_2}{\sim} B
$$
and not
$$
\left. A\sim B \right| R_1\leftrightarrow R_2\, , \,R_2\leftrightarrow R_1
$$
which is too late, since you already did it at ##\sim##, and ambiguous since you seem to do and re-do it.

Likes ChiralSuperfields and DrClaude
ChiralSuperfields said:
What was wrong with the notation I used for showing that I has swapped the rows? The marker put a purple ?
As already mentioned, I believe the note was that your notation appeared after the 2nd matrix, not between the 1st and 2nd matrices.
FactChecker said:
I would use right-pointing arrows, R1 -> R2 to indicate that row 1 goes to row 2.
As already mentioned by @pbuk, the standard notation for swapping rows m and n is ##R_m \leftrightarrow R_n##. There are only three row operations:
  1. Exchanging (swapping) two rows: ##R_m \leftrightarrow R_n##
  2. Replacing a row by a nonzero multiple of itself: ##R_m \leftarrow kR_m##
  3. Replacing a row by the sum of another row and itself: ##R_m \leftarrow R_m + R_n##

Likes ChiralSuperfields
pbuk said:
Why are you inventing your own notation? There is a universally recognised notation for elementary row operations, in this case R1 <-> R2 (or rather ## R1 \leftrightarrow R2 ##).
Ok, I'll buy that. I didn't know that the notation was so standardized.
pbuk said:
No, do NOT do this, rotating three rows is not an elementary row operation. To achieve this you should write ## R1 \leftrightarrow R2, R1 \leftrightarrow R3 ##.
This is interesting. Although it makes sense, I didn't realize that there was so much standardization here. So the notation: ##R1 \leftrightarrow R2, R1 \leftrightarrow R3## is not commutative. The second ##R1## is the original row ##R2##.
This type of standardization is significant when a mathematical notation of row operations is developed. It is intellectually satisfying. :-)

Likes ChiralSuperfields and berkeman

1. What is the purpose of changing rows in a matrix?

Changing rows in a matrix allows for the manipulation and organization of data in a more efficient manner. It can also help with solving equations and performing operations on the matrix.

2. How do you notate changing rows in a matrix?

The most common notation for changing rows in a matrix is to use the notation "Ri <-> Rj", which means the rows i and j are being swapped. Another notation is "Ri -> kRi", which means the row i is being multiplied by a constant k.

3. Can you change multiple rows in a matrix at once?

Yes, it is possible to change multiple rows in a matrix at once. This can be done by using a combination of the notations mentioned above, such as "Ri -> kRi + lRj", which means the row i is being multiplied by k and added to the row j multiplied by l.

4. What are some common applications of changing rows in a matrix?

Changing rows in a matrix is commonly used in solving systems of equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and performing row operations to simplify a matrix for easier computation.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for changing rows in a matrix?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when changing rows in a matrix. The order of rows cannot be changed, and the same operation must be performed on both sides of the equation. Additionally, when multiplying a row by a constant, the constant cannot be zero.