Help with thyristor currents please

In summary, the conversation discusses using a 2n5062 thyristor as a switch to output a current and the necessary conditions for the thyristor to conduct, including applying the gate trigger current and having a higher anode current than the holding current. It is also mentioned that placing the load on the anode side is more convenient for the gate triggering.
Physicist3
Hi, I want to use a 2n5062 thyristor as a switch to output a current when the thyristor is on. I have found a data sheet which has values for gate trigger current and holding current (200 microamp and 5 milliamperes) respectively. Am I correct in thinking I must apply at least the gate trigger current value to the gate to get the thyristor to conduct and that for it to conduct, the anode current must be higher than the holding current for the thyristor to remain on when the gate pulse is removed? If the load is represented by a resistor, should this be on the anode side rather than the cathode side?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:
Hi, I want to use a 2n5062 thyristor as a switch to output a current when the thyristor is on. I have found a data sheet which has values for gate trigger current and holding current (200 microamp and 5 milliamperes) respectively. Am I correct in thinking I must apply at least the gate trigger current value to the gate to get the thyristor to conduct and that for it to conduct, the anode current must be higher than the holding current for the thyristor to remain on when the gate pulse is removed?
That sounds right.
If the load is represented by a resistor, should this be on the anode side rather than the cathode side?
You'll find the trigger arrangement is simpler if the load is in the anode. The cathode is then conveniently common to both the load and the gate triggering.

1. What is a thyristor?

A thyristor is a type of semiconductor device that is used for controlling large amounts of electrical current. It acts like a switch, allowing current to flow in one direction only.

2. How does a thyristor work?

A thyristor has three terminals: an anode, a cathode, and a gate. When a small current is applied to the gate terminal, it triggers the thyristor to conduct a large current between the anode and cathode terminals. Once triggered, the thyristor remains conducting until the current through it falls below a certain level.

3. What is the purpose of controlling thyristor currents?

The main purpose of controlling thyristor currents is to regulate the amount of power in an electrical circuit. By using thyristors, we can control the amount of current flowing through a circuit, which allows us to adjust the power output of devices such as motors, heaters, and lights.

4. How can I control thyristor currents?

Thyristor currents can be controlled by adjusting the gate signal or by using external circuits such as pulse width modulation (PWM) controllers. The gate signal is usually a small current or voltage that is used to trigger the thyristor into conducting a larger current.

5. What are some common applications of thyristors?

Thyristors are commonly used in power control applications, such as in motor speed control, lighting dimmers, and power supplies. They can also be found in electronic switches, voltage regulators, and inverter circuits.