Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative

In summary, the problem asks to find a polynomial of least degree that satisfies given conditions. The Hermite Interpolating Polynomial is a common approach for such problems, with specific coefficients and functions for integration and differentiation. The attempt at a solution involved trying to create a third coefficient term to satisfy one of the given conditions, but it was unsuccessful. Eventually, it was realized that using Newton's Formalism for the Hermite Interpolating Polynomial would be a better approach, leading to the solution of -1+2(x-1)-4(x-1)^3(x-2).
Haydo
SOLVED

1. Homework Statement

Find polynomial of least degree satisfying:
p(1)=-1, p'(1)=2, p''(1)=0, p(2)=1, p'(2)=-2

Homework Equations

In general, a Hermite Polynomial is defined by the following:
∑[f(xi)*hi(x)+f'(xi)*h2i(x)]
where:
hi(xj)=1 if i=j and 0 otherwise. Similarly with h'2. h'i(x)=0 and h2(x)=0. i.e., they are zero if they are integrated or derived.

Here is a page from wolfram with general information: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HermitesInterpolatingPolynomial.html

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I recognized x0=1 and x1=2. I tried to create some third coefficient term in order to satisfy p''(1)=0, but that seems to mean that I would have to make hi(xj) be zero for the second derivative, and I have no idea how to do this. I tried just setting this new h (call it h3) equal to (x)(x-2) when derived twice and integrating (so that h3''=1 for x1 and zero otherwise) but that was a total flop.

I'm starting to think that, despite the question's section (it was in the section regarding Hermite Interpolating Polynomials), there is a better way to approach it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For anyone reading this, I believe I have to use Newton's Formalism for the Hermite Interpolating polynomial, instead of Lagrange's.

EDIT- Yep, this is how to solve it. Answer is:
-1+2(x-1)-4(x-1)^3(x-2)

Here is a page describing Newton's Form for the Hermite Interpolant

Last edited:

1. What is Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative?

Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative is a mathematical method used to approximate a function using known data points and its first and second derivatives. It allows for a more accurate representation of the function compared to regular Hermite interpolation, which only uses the first derivative.

2. How does Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative work?

Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative uses a polynomial function to pass through the given data points and their corresponding first and second derivatives. This polynomial is constructed using the Lagrange interpolation formula, which ensures that the function satisfies the given data points and derivatives.

3. What are the benefits of using Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative?

Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative provides a more accurate approximation of the function compared to regular Hermite interpolation, especially when the function is highly nonlinear. It also allows for a smoother curve to be generated, as it takes into account the second derivative, which represents the rate of change of the slope of the function.

4. What are the limitations of Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative?

One limitation of Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative is that it can be computationally intensive, especially when dealing with a large number of data points. It also requires the first and second derivatives to be known at the given data points, which may not always be available.

5. What are some real-life applications of Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative?

Hermite Interpolation extended to second derivative has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It can be used to approximate physical phenomena, such as the trajectory of a projectile or the motion of a pendulum. It is also commonly used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces in 3D modeling and animation.