How can I accurately calculate the inertia of rotors with cooling fins?

• Thread starter Henry C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inertia
In summary, it is difficult to calculate the inertia of a rotor due to the cooling fins. A model or spin rig might help.
Henry C
Hello Everyone,

I'm new hear & am hoping that someone can help me out.

I have two Rotors, one on each end of a shaft with bearings in the centre, both have air cooling fins in the centre of each rotor.
I need to calculate the Inertia of these Rotors, I have looked at several formula's but there seems to be difficulty calculating the inertia due to the cooling fins etc.

I thought I may be able to drive the Rotors on the shaft to a given speed then disconnect the drive & use the time it takes for the rotors to come to a stand still to calculate this.

I will just use a very light oil on the roller bearings for the excersise & also blank off the cooling fins so they have don't have drag etc.

Neglecting Bearing friction, will this method give me fairly accurate results?
I have not been able to find the formula's for this & was hoping that someone may be able to help me out.

An example would be very helpful.

I can weigh the rotors & the shaft to get the mass if this is required.

Thank You

Henry C

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi there,

What does the thing you are measuring acutally look like?
A quick schematic will do.

Also when you say inertia, I am assuming you mean mass moment of inertia (angular mass).

Last edited:
I have attached a drawing of one rotor, their is one of these at each end of a shaft with roller bearings in between.

They are steel, heavy, & about 460mm diameter.

I need to know the Inertia of these Rotors etc.

Yes, Moment of Inertia

Thanks

Attachments

• Rotors-1.jpg
    Rotors-1.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,189
How accurate do you need to be?

The geometry makes it too hard to sensibly calcualte by hand.
Do you have access to a CAD system? If you do a quick model, most will output an inertia value.

I have a feeling that you'll need a spin rig. You really need to measure the torque and time to spin up the rotor, then measure the spin down time to get the prevailing (loss) torque. From that you can calcualte inertia.

I would like to be fairly accurate as they will be used to measure torque.

Is their a site or an explanation of the spin rig proceedure anywhere on the internet prefferably with some formula's etc.

No CAD at this stage!

Thanks

Sorry for the double post
Does this make sense,

Torque = I*a I=moment of inertia a= Linear accelleration

Angular accelleration a=r*x r= radius of shaft x= rad/s^2

T=I*x
I=T/x

So if I have a chord & wrap it around the shaft & suspend a "known weight"-mass on this & release it, I then have the vertical distance it traveled & the time taken.

If I then calculate the Linear accelleration , the Angular accelleration,chord Tension & Torque then I should be able to calculate fairly closley the Moment of Inertia using I=Tx.

Neglecting Bearing Friction!

Is this reasonable?

Thanks

Related to How can I accurately calculate the inertia of rotors with cooling fins?

1. What is the formula for calculating the inertia of rotors?

The formula for calculating the inertia of rotors is I = MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the rotor, and R is the radius of the rotor.

2. How do you measure the mass and radius of a rotor for calculating inertia?

The mass of a rotor can be measured using a scale or balance. The radius can be measured using a ruler or caliper. It is important to measure both accurately for an accurate calculation of inertia.

3. Can the inertia of a rotor change?

Yes, the inertia of a rotor can change if there are any changes in its mass or radius. It can also change if the rotor is in motion and its speed is increased or decreased.

4. What is the unit of measurement for inertia of rotors?

The unit of measurement for inertia of rotors is kilogram-meter squared (kg-m^2).

5. How is the inertia of rotors used in engineering and physics?

The inertia of rotors is an important factor in the design and analysis of rotating machinery such as engines, turbines, and motors. It is also used in the study of rotational motion and dynamics in physics.