How can I use circuit analysis to prove RI = RSRP/(RS - RP)?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving circuit analysis by creating a system of equations. However, he was unable to solve the equation for RI because the meter conditions were not included. He asked his professor for help, and the professor suggested he use both circuits to solve the problem. The student then adjusted the resistors in each circuit to make Rl equal Rs1, Rs2, and Rp.
whatisgoingon

Homework Statement

I have to prove that RI = RSRP/(RS - RP) by circuit analysis.
AJuq8KT.png

bTpdmK5.png

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I tried to create a system of equations to do this:

For the first circuit using kirchhoffs rules:
V-IA(RS + RI) = 0 [1]

For the second circuit:

V-IBRS - IPRP = 0 [2]

V-IBRS - (IA)/2 * RI = 0 (It's IA/2 because of kirchhoffs rules regarding the junction therefore it's equivalent to the first circuit's I divided by 2) [3]

IB = IP + IA/2 [4]

First I solved for V for first 3 equations. Then for equation 4, i solved for IA/2 to make it easier for me, then I substituted it and tried to eliminate as much variables as I can by equating [1] and [2]. then whatever result I get for that, I then equate it to [3]. After doing this, I get
IB(2Rs + RI) = IP(2Rs + RI -RP)

Solving this using my head, I know I won't be able to prove the Ri equation. Any tips or other methods to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any particular circuit conditions under which this expression is meant to hold? The problem statement doesn't mention anything, but to me these are just two completely independent circuits with variable resistors. Why variable?

I'm not really sure what you mean but this is from a lab and for the series circuit, full scale deflection of the meter is required. The parallel circuit, one-half scale deflection of the meter was required, which is why the parallel resistor was added.I originally used the parallel circuit to try to prove the Ri equation but I ended up with:
RI=RSRP/(RP - RS) which is wrong.
So I asked my professor, and this [the attempted solution: using both circuits] is what he hinted me to do and I just can't seem to solve it.

Well, that's context that is important! So somehow you have to incorporate the meter conditions into the analysis. What does half deflection versus full deflection imply? (think: current)

EDIT: Or think voltage across the meter. Either way works.

Last edited:
I 'm sort of getting it now. Since the first circuit is in series, lowering the resistance increased the deflection. Using Ohm's law, I =V/R, the meter indicated more current was able to flow through. For the 2nd circuit, using kirchhoffs law, increasing the resistance by a little bit, decreased the deflection by signifcantly since it was in parallel. therefore the current in the meter decreased.

I still can't think of a way to incorporate that into the analysis...Right now my mind is heading towards something about manipulating the current but I don't know how to do it in terms of the equations

Start by writing expressions for the current through the meter for both circuits.

The only thing making sense to me is:
1. using circuit 1, record Rs1 and il.
2.Using circuit 2, adjust Rs2 and Rp for same iL as for ckt. 1. Record Rs2 and Rp.
Then you can express Rl in terms of Rs1, Rs2 and Rp. Rs2 will be < Rs1.

1. What is proof by circuit analysis?

Proof by circuit analysis is a method used in electrical engineering and computer science to mathematically verify the correctness of a circuit design. It involves breaking down a circuit into smaller components and analyzing the behavior and relationships between these components using mathematical equations and principles.

2. How is proof by circuit analysis different from other methods of verifying circuits?

Unlike other methods such as simulation or physical testing, proof by circuit analysis provides a formal mathematical proof of the circuit's correctness. This means that the proof can be verified and reproduced by others, making it more reliable and trustworthy.

3. What are the advantages of using proof by circuit analysis?

Proof by circuit analysis allows for early detection of design flaws and errors, which can save time and resources in the long run. It also provides a deeper understanding of the circuit's behavior and can help in optimizing and improving the design.

4. What types of circuits can be analyzed using this method?

Proof by circuit analysis can be applied to any type of circuit, from simple circuits with a few components to complex circuits with hundreds or thousands of components. It is also applicable to both analog and digital circuits.

5. What are the limitations of proof by circuit analysis?

Proof by circuit analysis relies heavily on the accuracy and completeness of the circuit model, as well as the correctness of the mathematical equations used. It may also be time-consuming and complex for larger and more complex circuits. Additionally, it may not account for external factors such as temperature or noise, which can affect the circuit's behavior in real-world scenarios.