How do I.... Change a lightbulb?

In summary: So if you're just trying to replace the bulb, you'll need to remove the screws and the whole fixture will come down. If you just want to replace the bulb, you'll need to unscrew the fixture from the wiring.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I have a weird light socket in my house, someone help!
I attached a picture. I bought my house in February and one room has these lights inset into the ceiling. The whole fixture can kind of jiggle around with the light in it. How am I supposed to remove the bulb? It doesn't obviously unscrew or anything. Do I need to remove the whole fixture?

Attachments

• PXL_20201211_230325995.jpg
    PXL_20201211_230325995.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
This should give you the idea.

Skip to 13:50:

You should be able to gently push and twist the disc counterclockwise and it should fall out so that you can get at the connector pins.

What does the fixture look like from the attic?

berkeman said:
What does the fixture look like from the attic?
It wouldn't surprise me if it were a dropped ceiling.

It looks like a MR16:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mr16+spotlight+bulb&client=ubuntu&hs=Ffw&source=lnms&tbm=isch
Most MR16 lamps are operated using voltages lower than 120 volts, typically 12 volts. Some MR16 lamps, however, operate using 6 or 24 volts.
Available in LED. (If you're buying halogen, note that some do/don't have a glass plate on the front.)
EDIT:
It is important to keep in mind that some power supplies require a minimum load of 20 or 30 watts. LED light bulbs generally have extremely low wattage, like 3 watts each. Therefore, consider replacing your current power supply with one designed for LED lighting.
https://www.superiorlighting.com/blog/can-you-replace-your-mr16-halogen-bulbs-with-mr16-led-bulbs/

Last edited:
Yeah, there's no attic. This is on the top floor of a town house. It is a dropped ceiling, with the actual roof right above.

Dave, thanks for the video, I'll try it out.

Definitely going to replace with an led if I can, I want to replace light bulbs as little as possible (there are a million of them in this place!) and my understanding is leds last a lot longer.

Office_Shredder said:
The whole fixture can kind of jiggle around with the light in it. How am I supposed to remove the bulb? It doesn't obviously unscrew or anything. Do I need to remove the whole fixture?
I think there is a good chance the central part of the fixture is just a gard or is a can held in by friction clips. With a gentle tug, it may slide out.

Likes Lnewqban
If you push the reflector straight up, does it move or yield? If it stays fixed, try rotating while turning.

And, in honor of another thread...

Light bulb will not change.
The socket will not give way
Use explosive bolts

• Haha
Likes BillTre and anorlunda
Vanadium 50 said:
Use explosive bolts
LOL, that is more fun as a general purpose answer to all questions than 42.:biggrin:

Likes BillTre
Success! It's a gu10. The correct answer was to just pull down on only the inner ring, and it was held in by friction.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• PXL_20201212_154006077.jpg
    PXL_20201212_154006077.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 165
Likes russ_watters
That only took seven physicists. :smile:

This lamp has the bulb pins secured by set screws (so you can't just pull it out), which also make electrical contact with the painted metal supporting wires!
S6300460.JPG

1. How do I safely change a lightbulb?

To safely change a lightbulb, make sure the light switch is turned off and the bulb has had time to cool down. Use a ladder or step stool to reach the light fixture, and wear gloves to protect your hands from any broken glass. Twist the old bulb counterclockwise to remove it, then insert the new bulb and twist it clockwise until it is securely in place.

2. What type of lightbulb should I use?

The type of lightbulb you should use depends on the fixture and the desired lighting effect. Incandescent bulbs produce a warm, yellowish light and are suitable for most fixtures. LED bulbs are energy-efficient and have a longer lifespan, but may be more expensive. Compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs are also energy-efficient and produce a cooler, bluish light. Always check the fixture's maximum wattage before choosing a lightbulb.

3. How do I dispose of a burned-out lightbulb?

To dispose of a burned-out lightbulb, wrap it in newspaper or place it in a plastic bag to prevent any broken glass from scattering. Check with your local waste management or recycling center for specific disposal instructions, as some bulbs may contain hazardous materials that require special handling.

4. Can I replace a lightbulb with a higher wattage?

No, it is not recommended to replace a lightbulb with a higher wattage than the fixture's maximum wattage. This can cause the bulb to overheat and potentially start a fire. If you need brighter lighting, consider using multiple bulbs or switching to a different type of bulb with a higher lumen output.

5. How often should I change my lightbulbs?

The lifespan of a lightbulb varies depending on the type and usage, but on average, incandescent bulbs last about 1,000 hours, CFL bulbs last about 8,000 hours, and LED bulbs last about 25,000 hours. It is recommended to check your lightbulbs periodically and replace them when they start to flicker or dim, as this is a sign that they are reaching the end of their lifespan.