How Do Term Symbols Apply to Magnesium's Ground State Configuration?

In summary, Magnesium has the ground state configuration [Ne] 3s^1 and is a “one-electron” atom. Sodium has the ground state configuration [Ne] 3s^2 and is a “two-electron” atom.
bman!!
Sodium, = 11, has the ground state configuration [Ne] 3s^1 and is a “one
electron” atom. Magnesium, Z= 12, is a “two-electron” atom. Write down its
ground state configuration and possible term values.

i think i get the right answer but I am having a couple of issues:

my answer:

ground state configuration: [Ne] 3s^2

possible term values are for the spin multiplicity either S = 1 or 0 so 2S+1 = 3 or 1

L = 0 therefore = 0

therefore J = 1 or 3

however I am inclined to go with J = 1 as i think the exclusion plays a role.

p.s. ill happily clarify anything here as i know its not the clearest, i just don't know how to wrie term/spectroscopic notation in latex/html

cheers

i just find this term symbol stuff abit cinfusing

Physics news on Phys.org
No, your J - value is wrong.

Tell me, what is the formula for adding two angular momentums in quantum mechanics. i.e What is the formula for J in this case?

This is the way to write a Term:

[tex] ^{2S+1}L_J [/tex]

Just click on this image to see the Tex-code, you should figure out how to chage the code to fit your needs-

Also, this is wrong:

"ground state configuration: [Ne] 3s^2"
We were discussing Mg right?

malawi_glenn said:
No, your J - value is wrong.

Tell me, what is the formula for adding two angular momentums in quantum mechanics. i.e What is the formula for J in this case?

This is the way to write a Term:

[tex] ^{2S+1}L_J [/tex]

Just click on this image to see the Tex-code, you should figure out how to chage the code to fit your needs-

Also, this is wrong:

"ground state configuration: [Ne] 3s^2"
We were discussing Mg right?

its ok i spoke to a chemist and he set me straight. besides, I've already had that exam, so i can set about forgetting everything i learned ;)

Related to How Do Term Symbols Apply to Magnesium's Ground State Configuration?

1. What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves the use of various techniques to analyze and measure the properties of different types of radiation, such as light, x-rays, and radio waves, as they interact with matter.

2. What is a term symbol in atomic physics?

A term symbol is a shorthand notation used to represent the electronic state of an atom. It consists of a capital letter and a superscript number, with the letter representing the total angular momentum of the atom and the number representing the total spin angular momentum.

3. How are term symbols determined?

Term symbols are determined by considering the electron configuration of an atom and the rules of quantum mechanics. The total angular momentum is determined by adding the individual orbital angular momenta, while the total spin angular momentum is determined by adding the individual spin angular momenta.

4. What is the significance of term symbols in atomic physics?

Term symbols provide a convenient way to represent the electronic state of an atom and to predict the properties of an atom, such as its energy levels and the transitions it can undergo. They also help in understanding the behavior of atoms in different environments and under different conditions.

5. How are term symbols used in spectroscopy?

In spectroscopy, term symbols are used to identify the energy levels of atoms and the transitions between them. By studying the changes in term symbols, scientists can determine the electronic structure of atoms and molecules and gain insights into their chemical and physical properties.