How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid Bounded by z=8xy in the First Octant?

In summary, the volume of the solid in the first octant of xyz space bounded below by the coordinate axes and the unity circle and bounded above by z = 8xy can be found by using double integration with limits of 0 to 1 for the outer integral and 0 to (sqrt(1-x^2))/2 for the inner integral in spherical coordinate system.
dannyzambrano
Find the volume of the solid in the first octant of xyz space, bounded below by the coordinate axes and the unity circle and bounded above by z = 8xy.

A) 1/2 B) 1 C) 2 D) 4 E) 8

I know definitely volume will be the double integral of 8xy dy dx.

I think my limits of integration for the inner integral should be -sqrt(1-x^2) to sqrt(1-x^2). Since we are looking at the unit circle ( x^2 + y^2 = 1)

The outer integral limits should just be from -1 to 1?

Is this correct?

When I do the inner integral I get 4x(y^2) evaluated between -sqrt(1-x^2) to sqrt(1-x^2) but this looks like it just gives me 0 when I do the inner integral...

4x(sqrt(1-x^2))^2 - 4x(-sqrt(1-x^2))^2

Can someone help me and tell me if I am doing something wrong. I think i am

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limits of integration are not correct.

Edit: both "inner" and "outer". Recall that you're in an octant.

oh right we are in the first octant.. so we are really only looking at a quarter of the unit circle i guess..

So my limits on the outer integral should just be from 0 to 1 right? and the limits on the inner integral should be from 0 to (sqrt(1-x^2))/2? since its just a quarter of the circle? Thats my reason for dividing by 2

Yes, correct.

change to the sphendrical coordinate

Related to How Do You Calculate the Volume of a Solid Bounded by z=8xy in the First Octant?

1. What is the definition of "Volume of Solid in R3"?

The volume of a solid in R3, also known as three-dimensional space, is the measure of the amount of space that a solid object occupies. It is typically measured in cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic centimeters.

2. How is the volume of a solid in R3 calculated?

The volume of a solid in R3 can be calculated using the formula V = l x w x h, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the solid. For more complex shapes, the volume can be calculated using integration techniques.

3. What is the difference between volume and surface area of a solid in R3?

The volume of a solid in R3 refers to the amount of space inside the solid, while the surface area refers to the total area of the outer surface of the solid. In other words, volume measures how much space is occupied by the object, while surface area measures how much surface is covered by the object.

4. How does the volume of a solid in R3 change with scaling?

The volume of a solid in R3 is directly proportional to the scale factor. This means that if the dimensions of the solid are multiplied by a certain factor, the volume will also be multiplied by that factor. For example, if a cube with side length 2 cm has a volume of 8 cm3, scaling it to a side length of 4 cm will result in a volume of 64 cm3.

5. Can the volume of a solid in R3 be negative?

No, the volume of a solid in R3 cannot be negative. Since volume is a measure of space, it cannot have a negative value. However, the volume of a solid can be zero if the object has no dimensions, such as a point or a line.