How do you find the phase difference when given two sine equations and a X and t

In summary, the conversation discusses two equations with the same amplitude but different k and w values, representing waves on a string at a given point and time. The phase difference between these equations can vary with position and time, and the equations assume the waves are in phase at x=0, t=0. To find the correct answer, the phase difference should be reduced modulo 2π and converted from radians to degrees by multiplying by 180/pi. The variable ci represents the phase constant, and its value can be solved for in this situation.
randoreds
ok, I would just like to know in general b/c we have to do this a lot.
The equations have the same amplitude, but different k and w
suppose you have y1 = Asin(k1x-w1t) and y2 = Asin(k2-w2t)

and only other information is they are on a string, at a point x, and a time t.

side note anyone know any good websites for help with superposition and standing waves b/c this section I am struggling with : /

Physics news on Phys.org
If the frequencies are different then the phase difference will also vary with position and time. Your two equations are not quite general, They assume the waves are in phase at x=0, t=0. So let's expand them to sin(kix+wit+ci).
At a given x and t, the phases are kix+wit+ci. So the phase difference is simply the difference of those two quantities (but you probably want to reduce that modulo 2π).

haruspex said:
If the frequencies are different then the phase difference will also vary with position and time. Your two equations are not quite general, They assume the waves are in phase at x=0, t=0. So let's expand them to sin(kix+wit+ci).
At a given x and t, the phases are kix+wit+ci. So the phase difference is simply the difference of those two quantities (but you probably want to reduce that modulo 2π).

Thanks for the help. but I still have a question, What do you mean by ci? b/c I thought I could get the answer by subtracting the difference of the two -> kix+wi , but I get totally the wrong answer. I get 9 radians and the answer is 152 degrees. So I would suppose that variable ci is what I am missing. so if you could explain it, I would be grateful!

and I suppose c is the phase constant, but how would you solve for it in this situation

Last edited:
randoreds said:
I get 9 radians and the answer is 152 degrees.
As I said:
haruspex said:
(but you probably want to reduce that modulo 2π)

sorry, I am terrible at physics. I get 20(5) -32(2) = 36, 25(5) - 40(2) = 45, 45 - 36 = 9 radians if you convert that to degrees, pi/20.

therefore, I have no idea how to get to the answer from there. any n2pi won't give me 152 radians. I get like 171 or 351.

It might be simple, but how do you get from my answer to the right one?

randoreds said:
9 radians if you convert that to degrees, pi/20.
To convert radians to degrees, multiply by 180/pi.

oh, I can't believe I was making that mistake. thank you so much.

1. What is the formula for finding the phase difference between two sine equations?

The formula for finding the phase difference between two sine equations is given by the difference in their phase angles, which can be determined by comparing the coefficients of the sine function in each equation. The phase difference can also be calculated by finding the horizontal shift between the two equations on a graph.

2. Can the phase difference be negative?

Yes, the phase difference can be negative. This indicates that one sine equation is shifted to the right or left of the other, depending on the sign of the difference. A negative phase difference means the two equations are out of phase, while a positive phase difference means they are in phase.

3. How does the amplitude of the sine waves affect the phase difference?

The amplitude of the sine waves does not affect the phase difference. The phase difference is solely determined by the horizontal shift between the two equations on a graph, not by the height of the waves.

4. Are there any special cases where the phase difference cannot be determined?

Yes, there are cases where the phase difference cannot be determined. This can happen when the two sine equations have the same phase angle and frequency, making them indistinguishable from each other on a graph. In this case, the phase difference is considered to be zero.

5. How can the phase difference be used in real-world applications?

The phase difference between two sine equations can be used to analyze the behavior and relationship of two periodic systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It can also be used to measure the delay between two signals, which is useful in fields like telecommunications and audio engineering.