How does adding material affect stress in FEA results?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about stress levels in a plastic connection of two different geometries. The speaker is trying to understand why increasing the diameter in the non-uniform connection has led to an increase in stress instead of decreasing it. They also mention seeing this trend in other simulations and question if it has to do with the energy distribution when applying the load. The other person suggests looking at the mesh geometry in the region to better understand the stress levels.
Shumon Hossain
Hello,

I have a fairly simple question but I guess I am having a hard time trying to understand it. I have a plastic connection of two different geometries (see attachment). When I hold end of the front portion (of the uniform diameter) and apply torque at the bigger cylinder geometry, there is a stress that is lower than if I run the FEA holding the front portion (not uniform) diameter? I increased the diameter in the non uniform connection and would have thought it would have lowered the stress instead of increasing the stress. I understand that in order to really lower the stress the wall thickness would need to increased, but I really would like to know why if I add material, the stress is going up. I have seen this in quite a few simulations. Does it have to do something with how the energy has to go somewhere when applying the load? Does adding the additional step always increase stress since it's not necessarily the load but the transition of geometry? Please see the attachment for better understanding of my question.

Attachments

• FEA Simulation Question.pdf
    263.8 KB · Views: 333
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks to me like a stress discontinuity due to proximity to the fixed boundary condition. I'd recommend taking a close look at the mesh geometry in that region before making decisions about the stress, the maximum stress might be driven up by a stress concentration due to a poorly-formed mesh element(s).

Likes George Zucas

1. What is FEA and why is it used?

FEA stands for Finite Element Analysis, and it is a computational method used to analyze the behavior of a structure or system under various conditions. It is used to simulate real-world scenarios and predict how a structure will respond to different loads and forces.

2. How do I interpret FEA results?

FEA results are typically displayed in the form of stress and displacement plots, as well as numerical values for various parameters such as strain, deformation, and safety factor. These results can be compared to design criteria and industry standards to determine the overall performance and safety of the structure.

3. What are the common sources of errors in FEA results?

The accuracy of FEA results can be affected by various factors such as mesh density, material properties, boundary conditions, and modeling assumptions. It is important to carefully review and validate all inputs and assumptions to minimize errors in the results.

4. How can I improve the accuracy of FEA results?

To improve the accuracy of FEA results, it is important to use a high-quality mesh with appropriate element types, refine the mesh in areas of high stress gradient, use accurate material properties, and validate the results with physical testing or analytical solutions.

5. Can FEA results be used for design optimization?

Yes, FEA results can be used for design optimization by conducting parametric studies to evaluate the performance of different design options and identify the most efficient and cost-effective solution. However, it is important to validate the optimized design using physical testing or analytical methods.