How is instantaneous power adjusted in the electrical grid?

In summary, the conversation discusses the adjustments made to instant electrical power in the electrical grid due to consumption and production. The generators in power plants act as flywheels on a timescale of seconds, while hydro and gas power plants can quickly switch on/off to regulate power over longer timescales. The propagation speed for changes in voltages in cables is typically 2/3 c and can vary in complex networks. The speed of electrical power transfer is the same as the speed for changes in voltages. Additionally, a PF Insights article provides further explanation on balancing power in the electrical grid without using complex math.
ORF
Hello

I didn't find a similar question, but if it's redundant, please erase this thread.

The instant electrical power is not constant (because of the consumption and of the production). So, how the instant power is adjusted in the electrical grid?

There is a similar entry, but it has several open questions:
-> I have heard that in case of surplus, the electrical power is derived to ground, but this seems weird to me. Is it true?
-> They talk about the speed of the electrical power; how fast is the electrical power transfer? (post10).

Thank you in advance :)

Greetings.

Engineering news on Phys.org
@anorlunda wrote an insights article about AC networks. On the timescale of seconds, the generators in power plants act as flywheels. Over longer timescales, various power plants regulate their power, especially hydro and gas power plants can quickly switch on/off.

@mfb: Oh, I didn't notice that article. Thank you :)

Just to keep in mind some number... what is the electrical power speed for a typical electrical grid? (I don't know the typical parameters of reactance and resistance for an electrical grid)

@cnh1995: thank you for the thread. I'm not an electrical engineer, so it's a bit harder for me following it.

The propagation speed for changes in voltages in cables is typically 2/3 c. The effective speed can be different in complex networks.

Ok, thank you :)

The last stupid question of the thread (I promise): the speed of electrical power transfer is the same as the speed for changes in voltages?

ORF said:
Ok, thank you :)

The last stupid question of the thread (I promise): the speed of electrical power transfer is the same as the speed for changes in voltages?

Yes, that's correct.

1. How is instantaneous power calculated in the electrical grid?

Instantaneous power is calculated by multiplying the voltage and current at a given time. This calculation is done at regular intervals to determine the fluctuations in power supply.

2. What factors affect the instantaneous power in the electrical grid?

The instantaneous power in the electrical grid is affected by factors such as changes in demand, weather conditions, and supply from different sources. It can also be affected by equipment failures and fluctuations in renewable energy sources.

3. How is instantaneous power adjusted during peak demand?

During peak demand, the instantaneous power is adjusted by increasing the supply from power plants and other sources, such as renewable energy sources and stored energy. This helps to meet the increased demand and maintain a stable power supply.

4. What are the methods used to adjust instantaneous power in the electrical grid?

There are several methods used to adjust instantaneous power in the electrical grid, including load shedding, demand response, and energy storage. Load shedding involves temporarily cutting off power to certain areas to balance the demand and supply. Demand response involves incentivizing consumers to reduce their electricity usage during peak demand. Energy storage involves storing excess energy for later use.

5. How do smart grids help in adjusting instantaneous power?

Smart grids use advanced technologies and communication systems to collect data and control the flow of electricity in real-time. This allows for more efficient and precise adjustments to instantaneous power, helping to maintain a stable and reliable grid. Smart grids also allow for better integration of renewable energy sources and demand response programs.