How Much Friction is Needed to Keep the Ladder in Place?

In summary, a 5.00-m long ladder with a mass of 18.0 kg leans against a smooth wall and rests on a rough floor. A person of mass 70.0 kg climbs 2.50 m up the ladder. To keep the ladder in place, the frictional force exerted by the floor on the ladder must be 194 N. This can be found by considering all the forces acting on the ladder, including the force of gravity and the normal force, and taking moments about the center of mass of the ladder. The angle of the ladder with the ground is found to be 67.3°.
Kamisama

Homework Statement

A 5.00-m long uniform ladder leans against a smooth wall and its base rests on a rough floor. The ladder has a mass of 18.0 kg and its base is a distance of 2.30 m from the wall. A person of mass 70.0 kg climbs 2.50 m up the ladder. If the ladder is to remain in place, what frictional force must be exerted by the floor on the ladder?

Homework Equations

t = FR
t =0
N=mgcosθ
ΣF=0
Σt = 0
-mLgbg-mPgbP+Fn,w*a = 0
Fn,w= (mLgbg + mPgbP ) / a

ΣFx = 0
Fs - Fn,w = 0
Fs = Fn,w = (mLgbg + mPgbP ) / a

The Attempt at a Solution

wall (a)= sqrt(30.29)= 5.50m, bL=2.30m, bP=cos(67.3)*cP
c= 5.00m, cP=2.50m
θL= tan-1(5.50/2.30)= 67.3°

Fs = ((18.0)(9.81)(2.30)+(70.0)(9.81)(.965)) / 2.5 = 194 N

I'm not completely sure if I found all forces for this problem, did I find everything for the frictional force?

Physics news on Phys.org
angle of the ladder with the ground = arc cos(2.3/5) = 62.61°. I do not know which angle you find out to be 30.5 and how? You have to label all the possible forces acting on the ladder and take moments about a convenient point. I think it is center of mass of teh ladder. You think why and what is the convenience. modify your reply accordingly then I would comment.

Kamisama said:
bP=cos(67.3)*cP
It is rarely necessary to calculate the actual angles from the sides of the right-angled triangle. Just work in terms of the trig functions of the angles.

1. What is frictional force exerted?

Frictional force exerted is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another surface. It is caused by the roughness and irregularities of the two surfaces in contact.

2. How is frictional force exerted measured?

Frictional force exerted can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the amount of force required to overcome the frictional force between two surfaces. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N).

3. What factors affect the amount of frictional force exerted?

The amount of frictional force exerted can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the objects, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. Other factors such as temperature and the presence of lubricants can also affect frictional force.

4. How does frictional force exerted impact motion?

Frictional force exerted can impact motion by slowing down or stopping the motion of an object. This is because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to lose energy and eventually come to a stop. It can also cause objects to heat up due to the energy dissipated during friction.

5. Can frictional force exerted be beneficial?

Yes, frictional force exerted can be beneficial in many ways. Without friction, objects would have a difficult time staying in place and would constantly slip and slide. Friction also allows us to walk, drive, and grip objects. Additionally, frictional force can be useful in slowing down or stopping moving objects, such as in brakes and clutches.