How to calculate stress on a beam using MATLAB?

In summary: The documentation may be able to help you with your specific question. There's always a set of documentation on MATLAB you can read. Try that. The documentation may be able to help you with your specific question.
AqibH
Hey all,

I want to calculate the stress and strain on a beam using MATLAB and I would also like to make a stress-strain curve as well. The problem is as follows:

I have a hollow rectangular aluminum beam that is fixed at both ends. I have the material properties and the dimensions of the beam. The beam is 60 cm in z (length), 5 cm in x (width), and 3 cm in y (depth?). There is a load on this beam at let's say 40 cm from the wall (the other end is supported by another beam attached to ground). The load is approximately (40kg)(9.8m/s^2). Is there any way I can make a figure of this beam in MATLAB indicating where the load is applied and then calculate the stress and also plot stress-strain curve? Or if anyone has any references that would also help greatly. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Roark - Formulas for stress and strain - any edition .

Timoshenko - Strength of materials part 1 - any edition .

AqibH said:
Hey all,

I want to calculate the stress and strain on a beam using MATLAB and I would also like to make a stress-strain curve as well. The problem is as follows:

I have a hollow rectangular aluminum beam that is fixed at both ends. I have the material properties and the dimensions of the beam. The beam is 60 cm in z (length), 5 cm in x (width), and 3 cm in y (depth?). There is a load on this beam at let's say 40 cm from the wall (the other end is supported by another beam attached to ground). The load is approximately (40kg)(9.8m/s^2). Is there any way I can make a figure of this beam in MATLAB indicating where the load is applied and then calculate the stress and also plot stress-strain curve? Or if anyone has any references that would also help greatly. Thanks in advance!
You forgot the dimensions of the hollow portion of the beam.

MATLAB is just a calculation tool, like a calculator, essentially. It has a rather specialized programming language to follow, in order to tell it what you want to calculate.

You don't just throw a bunch of numbers and formulas at MATLAB and hope that it will provide correct results. You must first understand what you are trying to do.

SteamKing said:
You forgot the dimensions of the hollow portion of the beam.

MATLAB is just a calculation tool, like a calculator, essentially. It has a rather specialized programming language to follow, in order to tell it what you want to calculate.

You don't just throw a bunch of numbers and formulas at MATLAB and hope that it will provide correct results. You must first understand what you are trying to do.
I know what MATLAB is and what it is capable of. I did not forget the dimensions of the hollow portion, I left it out on purpose. I do not know how to make a figure of this beam in MATLAB and show where the load is being applied. I can get this help without mentioning those dimensions. And really, the dimensions are meaningless. They are so easily changed it does not matter for this discussion. You must first stop assuming and fully think through your responses

AqibH said:
I know what MATLAB is and what it is capable of. I did not forget the dimensions of the hollow portion, I left it out on purpose. I do not know how to make a figure of this beam in MATLAB and show where the load is being applied. I can get this help without mentioning those dimensions. And really, the dimensions are meaningless. They are so easily changed it does not matter for this discussion. You must first stop assuming and fully think through your responses
There's always a set of documentation on MATLAB you can read. Try that.

1. What is the formula for calculating stress on a beam using MATLAB?

The formula for calculating stress on a beam using MATLAB is stress = force/area, where force is the applied load on the beam and area is the cross-sectional area of the beam.

2. How do I input the necessary data into MATLAB for calculating stress on a beam?

To calculate stress on a beam using MATLAB, you will need to input the values for the applied force and the cross-sectional area of the beam. These values can be stored in variables and used in the stress calculation formula.

3. Can MATLAB handle complex beam geometries for stress calculations?

Yes, MATLAB has built-in functions and capabilities for handling complex geometries in stress calculations. You can use functions such as trapz or integral to calculate the area under a curve for non-uniform beam cross-sections.

4. How do I plot the stress distribution along the length of the beam using MATLAB?

To plot the stress distribution along the length of the beam, you will need to first calculate the stress at various points along the beam. Then, you can use the plot function in MATLAB to create a stress vs. distance plot.

5. Can I use MATLAB to optimize the design of a beam based on stress calculations?

Yes, MATLAB has optimization functions that can be used to find the optimal beam design based on stress calculations. You can use these functions to minimize the stress on the beam by adjusting variables such as beam dimensions or applied load.