How to Correctly Apply KVL for Node Voltage Analysis?

In summary: So you have two different conventions in the same equation. You need to choose one convention and use it consistently.
James889
Hi,

I have this circuit which i am trying to write KVL equations for, but i just can't seem to get it right...

[PLAIN]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3374/upg255.png

The equations i have written so far are:
For v1: [tex]\frac{v_1-v_2}{5} +\frac{v1}{10} +1 = 0[/tex]
For v2: [tex]\frac{v_2-v_1}{5} - \frac{v_2}{20} -0.5i_x = 0[/tex]

Im not 100% sure this one is correct.
[tex]i_x=\frac{v_1-v_2}{5}[/tex]

Some pointers on whether these are correct or not, and in the case, what's wrong, would be appreciated.

Best regards
/James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
James889 said:
Hi,

I have this circuit which i am trying to write KVL equations for, but i just can't seem to get it right...

[PLAIN]http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3374/upg255.png

The equations i have written so far are:
For v1: [tex]\frac{v_1-v_2}{5} +\frac{v1}{10} +1 = 0[/tex]
For v2: [tex]\frac{v_2-v_1}{5} - \frac{v_2}{20} -0.5i_x = 0[/tex]

Im not 100% sure this one is correct.
[tex]i_x=\frac{v_1-v_2}{5}[/tex]

Some pointers on whether these are correct or not, and in the case, what's wrong, would be appreciated.

Best regards
/James

First, those are KCL equations, summing the currents leaving (or going into) each node.

Second, you have a sign error at least in the first equation (I didn't check further). Remember to be consitent -- sum the currents leaving each node (or entering, but I prefer leaving). What should the sign be on the current source term in the first equation for the node V1?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
First, those are KCL equations, summing the currents leaving (or going into) each node.

Second, you have a sign error at least in the first equation (I didn't check further). Remember to be consitent -- sum the currents leaving each node (or entering, but I prefer leaving). What should the sign be on the current source term in the first equation for the node V1?

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Hm, as the 1A current is entering node 1 the sign should be a +, should it not?

James889 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Okay, but then you need a "-" sign for the currents leaving the node through the 10Ω and 5Ω resistors.

James889 said:
Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

Redbelly98 said:
Okay, but then you need a "-" sign for the currents leaving the node through the 10Ω and 5Ω resistors.

So as RB says, if you insist on summing the currents entering the nodes, then you will need to adjust your equations to change the voltage subtractions to give you the currents entering the nodes.

Again, I prefer to sum the currents leaving each node, since that makes the voltage subtractions (divided by the resistances between the node voltages) more intuitive. It's easier to throw a "-" sign on a current source value in the sum, versus inverting voltage differences, IMO. But in the end, it's up to personal preference. Whatever is intuitive and accurate for you.

This equation conforms with v1 being 6v, v2 being 4v and ix = 0.4A.
[tex]-\frac{v_2-v_1}{5}-\frac{v_2}{20}=0.5i_x[/tex]

This is how i would write the second one.
[tex]\frac{v_1}{10} - \frac{v_2-v_1}{5} +1 = 0[/tex]

Putting v1 = 6 and v2 = 4 yields 1.2 instead of 0.

However if you put a minus sign in front of the first term it works out.

This does not make any sense. How can the current go from v2 to v1, and from v1 to v2 at the same time:confused:

You're still not getting your signs right.

When you're working on (summing currents at) a given node, say V1, and you have a resistor R connected from that node to ground, if you write a term V1/R, you are assuming positive currents are leaving the node. If you write a term -V1/R, you are assuming positive currents are entering the node.

With respect to currents from one node to another, if you're working on the V1 node and you write a term (V1-V2)/R you are assuming positive currents are leaving the node. If you write a term (v2-V1)/R, or equivalently -(V1-V2)/R, you are assuming positive currents are entering the node. If you are working on node V2, then the term (V2-V1)/R assumes positive current leaves the V2 node.

Either choice is ok, but you need to be consistent once you've made your choice.

This equation:[tex]\frac{v_1}{10} - \frac{v_2-v_1}{5} +1 = 0[/tex]

is inconsistent.

The two terms [tex]\frac{v_1}{10}[/tex] and [tex]-\frac{v_2-v_1}{5}[/tex]

are consistent with the assumption that positive currents are leaving the node, but the term

[tex]+1[/tex] is consistent with positive currents entering the node.

Last edited:

Related to How to Correctly Apply KVL for Node Voltage Analysis?

1. What is Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage values at different nodes in a circuit. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown node voltages.

2. When is Node Voltage Analysis used?

Node Voltage Analysis is typically used when there are multiple voltage sources and/or complex circuits with multiple nodes. It is also commonly used in electronic circuit design and analysis.

3. How do you perform Node Voltage Analysis?

To perform Node Voltage Analysis, you first need to label all the nodes in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law to create equations for each node, based on the voltage sources and resistors connected to that node. Finally, you can solve the equations simultaneously to find the node voltages.

4. What are the advantages of Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a systematic and efficient method for solving complex circuits with multiple nodes. It also allows for easy analysis of the effects of changing component values on the node voltages.

5. Are there any limitations to Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis assumes that all components in the circuit are linear, meaning that the current-voltage relationship follows Ohm's Law. It also requires that the circuit is in a steady state. Additionally, it may not be the most practical method for large circuits with many nodes.