How to draw graphs and level curves?

In summary: Use a computer ;)But even then you need to work out exactly what you want to plot before you can start.
1LastTry

Homework Statement

f(x,y,z) = 4x^2 + y^2 + 9z^2

another one is xy+z^2

how do u draw level curves and graphs for these?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need somewhere to start

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a computer ;)

But even then you need to work out exactly what you want to plot before you can start. You haven't provided that information: neither of the examples can be plotted with just the information provided.

By "level curve" do you mean "contour"?
In which case you need to decide which direction is "up" and what value to apply to f(x,y,z) - or the function has 4 axes.

maybe this will clear things up

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 616
20 and 24

sory about flipped

OK - you are given ##f:\mathbb{R}^3\rightarrow \mathbb{R}, (x,y,z)\rightarrow f(x,y,z)##

the problem is to "sketch or describe the surfaces in ##\small \mathbb{R}^3## which correspond to the mapping. i.e. f(x,y,z) represent 3D surfaces ... sets of them. You should have, in an earlier part of the same text, examples of various types of 3D surfaces and their equations. Compare. i.e. what is the equation for a 3D ellipsoid?

x^2+y^2+z^2=1?

how do you exactly describe it?

x^2+y^2+z^2=1 would be "a unit radius sphere". That's it's description.

for: f(x,y,z)=x^2+y^2+z^2 ... the surfaces in R^3 would be described as "spheres".

1LastTry said:

Homework Statement

f(x,y,z) = 4x^2 + y^2 + 9z^2

another one is xy+z^2
The problem with "drawing graphs" for these is that you need three orthogonal axes for the independent variables, x, y, and z, and an axes perpendicular to all of those for the function value, f. That is, you will need a four dimensional graph.

how do u draw level curves and graphs for these?
Level curves will help you reduce a dimension by treating the function value as a constant. That is, the level curves (more correctly "level surfaces") for for f(x,y,z)= 4x^2+ y^2+ 9z^2 will be the three dimensionl graphs 4x^2+ y^2+ 9z^2= C for different values of C. Those will be a number of ellipsoids, of different sizes, one inside the other.

An added problem here is that you will probably want to draw them on paper which is only two-dimensional!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need somewhere to start

Thanks

Related to How to draw graphs and level curves?

1. How do I choose the appropriate graph type for my data?

The type of graph you choose depends on the type of data you want to represent. If you want to show a relationship between two variables, a scatter plot is a good choice. If you want to represent categorical data, a bar graph or pie chart would be more appropriate. If you want to compare values over time, a line graph is often used.

2. How do I label my axes and title my graph?

The x-axis represents the independent variable and the y-axis represents the dependent variable. Make sure to label each axis with the appropriate variable and include units if applicable. The title of your graph should be succinct and accurately describe what the graph is showing.

3. What are level curves and how do I draw them?

Level curves, also known as contour lines, are lines on a graph that connect points with the same value. They are commonly used to represent three-dimensional surfaces on a two-dimensional graph. To draw them, you will need to plot several points on the graph and connect them with a smooth curve.

4. How do I determine the scale for my graph?

The scale of your graph refers to the interval between each tick mark on the axes. It is important to choose a scale that clearly shows the data without distorting the graph. One way to do this is to start with a small interval and adjust as needed to fit the data.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when drawing graphs and level curves?

Some common mistakes to avoid include mislabeling axes, using the wrong type of graph for the data, not including a title, and distorting the scale to make the data appear more significant. It is also important to make sure your graph is neat and easy to read.