How to find distance given echo time. (WAVES)

In summary, the ship is 220 metres from a large cliff and sounds its foghorn. The echo time is 0.5s. Using the equation Distance = Speed * Time, we can calculate that the ship is 110m away from the cliff. However, upon further questioning, it is revealed that this is a trick question and the actual distance is still 220m.
misz_sunshine

Homework Statement

A ship is 220metres from a large cliff when it sounds its foghorn. If the echo time is 0.5s, how far is the ship from the cliff?

Homework Equations

Distance=220m
Echo time= 0.5s

The Attempt at a Solution

220*0.5= 110 m

I really don't know.. Help please

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the problem statement very carefully.

SteamKing said:
Read the problem statement very carefully.

so the distance would still be 220m since it's an echo? No working out to do?

This can't be right. It's a trick question.

Is this the entire question, as written, in your book?

DaveC426913 said:
This can't be right. It's a trick question.

Is this the entire question, as written, in your book?

Yes this is how it was given.

Well, the answer is clearly 220 meters :D. This one made me laugh

Related to How to find distance given echo time. (WAVES)

1. How do I calculate distance using echo time?

The formula for calculating distance using echo time is distance = speed of sound x echo time / 2. This formula assumes that the sound waves are traveling at a constant speed and that the echo time is the total time from when the sound was emitted until it was received back.

2. What is the speed of sound used in the distance calculation?

The speed of sound used in the distance calculation depends on the medium through which the sound is traveling. In air at sea level, the speed of sound is approximately 343 meters per second. However, in different mediums such as water or steel, the speed of sound can vary.

3. Can I use any type of sound wave to calculate distance?

Yes, you can use any type of sound wave as long as it is capable of being emitted and received back. However, some sound waves may be better suited for certain distances or mediums. For example, low frequency sound waves may travel further in water compared to high frequency sound waves.

4. Do I need specialized equipment to measure echo time for distance calculations?

No, you do not need specialized equipment. Any device that can emit a sound and record the time it takes for the echo to be received back can be used. This could include a stopwatch or a smartphone with a sound recording app.

5. Are there any limitations to using echo time to calculate distance?

Yes, there are some limitations to using echo time for distance calculations. The accuracy of the calculation depends on the speed of sound being constant and the echo time being an accurate measure of the total time. In addition, other factors such as interference or reflections can affect the accuracy of the distance calculation.