How to find the heat energy produced in a resistor?

In summary, the correct answer is 4.8 joules of heat energy, found by multiplying the power of 0.8 watts by the time of 6 seconds. The incorrect answer of 2.4 joules was found by using the incorrect formula and not taking into account the time. Remember to use the formula E = QV to find the energy transferred when charge flows through a potential difference, or use the formula P = IV to find the power and then multiply by the time to find the energy.
ellieee
Homework Statement
nil
Relevant Equations
I=Q/t
CamScanner 08-01-2021 22.49.jpg

i found current to be 2/5 A. then 2/5A multipled by 6s = 2.4C. and since one joule per coulomb is equal to the unit of p.d, i get 2.4J. I don't get 4.8J(supposed answer)

Physics news on Phys.org
ellieee said:
... then 2/5A multipled by 6s = 2.4C. and since one joule per coulomb is equal to the unit of p.d, i get 2.4J
The last step is where you went wrong.

Having 2 volts means that 2 joules of energy are transferred per coulomb.
Does that help?

A better way to do these sorts of problems is using simple formulae. The key formula relating energy transferred (E, in joules) when charge (Q in coulombs) flows through a potential difference (V in volts) is:

E = QV (worth learning)

Other handy formulae are V = IR and Q = It.

Another approach is to find the power (using an appropriate formula). Then, using the time, you can find the energy easily. But I don’t know which method you are expected to use.

Likes DaveE
Another way of approaching this is that the rate of heating is ##\frac{V^2}{R}##.

Chestermiller said:
Another way of approaching this is that the rate of heating is ##\frac{V^2}{R}##.
Agreed. I prefer to do problems the simplest way if possible, and not do extra calculations. Since we are given the Voltage and Resistance, that gives us the power directly as you say. Then just multiply by the time of 6 seconds to get the energy.

$$P = \frac{V^2}{R} = \frac{2^2}{5} = \frac{4}{5} [Watts]$$
$$Heat Energy = Power * Time = \frac{4}{5} [Watts] * 6 [seconds] = 4.8 [Joules]$$

1. What is the formula for calculating heat energy produced in a resistor?

The formula for calculating heat energy produced in a resistor is Q = I2 * R * t, where Q is the heat energy in Joules (J), I is the current in Amperes (A), R is the resistance in Ohms (Ω), and t is the time in seconds (s).

2. How do I determine the current and resistance of a resistor?

The current can be determined by using a multimeter to measure the flow of electrons through the resistor. The resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I), or R = V/I.

3. Can the heat energy produced in a resistor be negative?

No, the heat energy produced in a resistor cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of thermal energy generated by the resistor.

4. How does the temperature affect the heat energy produced in a resistor?

The heat energy produced in a resistor is directly proportional to the temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the resistor also increases, resulting in a higher amount of heat energy being produced.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring heat energy in a resistor?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the resistor is not overheating and that the measuring equipment is properly calibrated. It is also recommended to use protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling high voltage and high temperature resistors.