How to Find the Volume of a Bounded Region with Sphere and Cone Equations

• Thread starter HeheZz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculas
In summary, the problem asks to find the volume of a region bounded by the unit sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and the cone z=sqrt(x^2+y^2). The solution involves using triple integrals and setting up the integral using spherical coordinates. The final integral is ∫0-2pi ∫0-(π/4) ∫0-1 (r^2 sinθdrdθdφ).
HeheZz

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a region bounded above by the unit sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=1 and below by the cone z=sqrt(x^2+y^2). I am really confuse here.. ><

Homework Equations

Sphere: x^2+y^2+z^2=1
Cone: z=sqrt(x^2+y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I had plot the graph of the sphere and cone and i am pretty confuse to use. Just want to have some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Volume requires a triple integral. How would you set this up? have you ever used polar/cylindrical/spherical coordinates?

Tea, i try using polar coordinates..

In the spherical, the equation of the sphere is r = 1

And the cone is rcosθ=√(r^2 sin^2 θ cos^2 φ + r^2 sin^2 θ sin^2 φ)=rsinθ

If we divide both sides by rcosθ, then we get

tanθ=1,θ=π/4

So, we have the triple integral:

∫0-2pi ∫0-(π/4) ∫0-1 (r^2 sinθdrdθdφ)

I am not sure if this is correct..

1. How do you find the volume of a bounded region with sphere and cone equations?

To find the volume of a bounded region with sphere and cone equations, you can use the method of cylindrical shells. This involves integrating the cross-sectional area of the region with respect to the height or radius of the shape.

2. What are the equations for a sphere and a cone?

The equation for a sphere is (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 + (z-l)^2 = r^2, where (h,k,l) is the center of the sphere and r is the radius. The equation for a cone is z = (r/h)sqrt(x^2 + y^2), where (0,0,0) is the vertex of the cone, r is the radius of the base, and h is the height of the cone.

3. How do you determine the bounds for the integration?

The bounds for the integration will depend on the specific problem and the orientation of the shape. To determine the bounds, you can set up a diagram and identify the limits of the shape in terms of the variable being integrated.

4. Can you find the volume of a bounded region with sphere and cone equations if they overlap?

Yes, you can still find the volume of a bounded region with sphere and cone equations if they overlap. You will need to divide the bounded region into multiple smaller regions and use the method of cylindrical shells on each individual region.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the volume of a bounded region with sphere and cone equations?

Yes, there are other methods such as the method of disks and the method of cross-sections. These methods may be more suitable for certain shapes or may be faster to compute depending on the problem.