How to Obtain Reaction of Truss Pinned Connection A, B, and C?

In summary, the conversation discusses a truss with externally statically indeterminate forces and the need for a method to solve for the reaction forces. The stiffness method and nodal analysis are mentioned as possible options, with the need for computational methods if there are too many unknowns. Questions are also raised about determining the direction of forces in the truss.
DavidLee24
Hey guys,

Sorry for this newbie question, I would to ask how to I obtain the reaction of the pinned connection of A, B, and C (See attachment)? Do I really have to use Force-Method? I actually attempted to use Moment at different places and do simultaneously (Idk if it's the right thing to do) but apparently I got Ay = 38.07kN, By = 37.39kN and Cy = 0, which I think it is wrong, can anybody help?

Thanks.

-DL
truss.PNG

Engineering news on Phys.org
The truss is externally statically indeterminate with 6 unknown reaction forces and just 3 equations of equilibrium, so you have to resort to a painstaking indeterminate analysis using a method of your choice.

PhanthomJay said:
The truss is externally statically indeterminate with 6 unknown reaction forces and just 3 equations of equilibrium, so you have to resort to a painstaking indeterminate analysis using a method of your choice.

Thanks for the reply, Jay! I've been studying stiffness method to solve for this question. But I have several question that I would like to ask, (see attachment)
truss_2.png

truss_3.png

From the truss, I put them into global coordinate, and named the member (in square), but I would like to ask about the arrow for Near and Far (in Cyan), is there ways to determine or is it assumed by ourselves? Thanks!

nodal analysis is how one would do it but as said if there are too many unknowns than knowns, computational methods may have to be used. I know sometimes with complicated trusses using matrices can be an adequate tool I believe.

What is an external reaction of a truss?

An external reaction of a truss is the force or moment exerted on the ends of the truss due to external loads placed on the structure. It is an important factor to consider in the design and analysis of truss structures.

How is the external reaction of a truss calculated?

The external reaction of a truss is calculated by summing the external forces and moments acting on the truss and then using the equations of static equilibrium to calculate the reactions at the supports.

What are the types of external reactions in a truss?

The types of external reactions in a truss include axial forces (tension or compression), shear forces, and bending moments. These reactions depend on the type and magnitude of the external loads and the geometry of the truss.

What factors affect the external reaction of a truss?

The external reaction of a truss is affected by various factors such as the type and magnitude of external loads, the geometry of the truss, and the support conditions. The material properties of the truss elements also play a role in determining the external reaction.

Why is it important to consider the external reaction of a truss?

Considering the external reaction of a truss is crucial for ensuring the structural stability and safety of the truss. It helps in determining the internal forces and stresses in the truss members, which are important for proper design and analysis of the structure.