Proving gcd(a+b,ab) = 1 for Relatively Prime Numbers

In summary, the homework statement says that if a and b are prime, then gcd(a+b,ab) = 1. The attempt at a solution sets gcd(a+b,ab) equal to d, and then tries to show that d = 1 using elementary algebra techniques. However, the argument fails since d does not equal 1.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

Let a and b be relatively prime. Show that gcd(a+b,ab) = 1

Homework Equations

ax+by = 1 for some integers x and y

The Attempt at a Solution

I set gcd(a+b,ab) = d. I'm now trying to show that d = 1 using elementary algebra techniques.
a+b = rd
ab = sd
ax + by = 1I'm kind of stuck here.. am I on the right track? Do I just need to aggresively rearrange stuff until I can express (a+b) and (ab) as a linear combination that equals one? or perhaps arrange them in such away that I show d divides both a and b individually and therefore it must be one since they are relatively prime? any hints?

Update:

a+b = rd ---> b = rd -a

ab = a(rd-a) = (ard)-(a^2) = sd
dividing both sides by d...

ar - (a^2 / d) = s
ar is an integer and s is an integer, so a^2 / d must be an integer, therefore d|a^2.

I employed a similar argument to show that d|b^2. Since d|a^2 and d|b^2 and gcd(a,b) = 1, we can use the fact that gcd(a^2,b^2) = 1 to conclude that d = 1.

Is this a solid argument?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument looks perfectly sound to me. You can make it a little more elegant by going : ## ard-a^2=rd \implies a^2=(ar-r)d \implies d|a^2 ## , but it's really the same thing.
Note however that this is not the method suggested in the formulation of the problem : you didn't make use of ## ax+by=1 ##. If you want to try that as well, do you know where that equation comes from ?

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
Oh wow, didn't even notice that I didn't use the relatively prime information, haha. Yeah, I know about the equation. Thanks for the post yo!

PsychonautQQ said:
Oh wow, didn't even notice that I didn't use the relatively prime information, haha. Yeah, I know about the equation. Thanks for the post yo!
No problem. I can see you don't like going by the book, you tackle the problem your own way, which is cool : )

Likes PsychonautQQ
Thanks ^_^ I appreciate it. I'm pretty new to this math thing but I want to learn it's mysteries so I appreciate the complement :D

What is the GCD?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers in a given set of integers without leaving a remainder.

What does it mean for two numbers to be relatively prime?

Two numbers are relatively prime if their GCD is equal to 1. This means that they do not have any common divisors other than 1.

How do you find the GCD of two numbers?

The GCD can be found using different methods such as prime factorization, Euclid's algorithm, or the extended Euclidean algorithm. These methods involve finding the common factors or divisors of the two numbers and selecting the largest one.

What is the importance of the GCD?

The GCD has various applications in mathematics, including simplifying fractions, finding the lowest common denominator, and solving linear Diophantine equations. It is also used in cryptography and computer science algorithms.

How can you determine if two numbers are relatively prime?

To determine if two numbers are relatively prime, you can find their GCD. If the GCD is equal to 1, then the numbers are relatively prime. Alternatively, you can also check if the numbers have any common divisors other than 1. If they do not, then they are relatively prime.