How to solve this triangle problem.

• Thread starter feihong47
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the homework statement is that the altitude perpendicular to the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 12 cm. Express the length of the hypotenuse as a function of the perimeter. The Attempt at a Solution tried to find the area of the triangle using two different equations, but was unsuccessful. The perimeter is x+y+h. To solve for x in terms of h, use x\sqrt{h^2 - x^2}=12h. The algebra can be a little messy, though. If I only have to express it in terms of x then I can do it. Glad to know that it's physically impossible to express it in P. Thanks!
feihong47

Homework Statement

The altitude perpendicular to the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 12 cm. Express the length of the hypotenuse as a function of the perimeter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have to express the hypotenuse (h) in terms of the perimeter. I tried to find the area of the triangle using two different equations

1) A = (1/2)*12*h = 6h
2) A = (1/2)*xy, let x and y be the other sides of the triangle

I can set them to each other, but I get 6h = 0.5xy

The perimeter (P) is x+y+h.

I have no idea how to express h in terms of P since now I have too many variables.

I tried substitution, and the best I got (without using x and y) was some complicated polynomial with P and h that I couldn't just simply solve for h.

Any tips are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of Pythagoras' Theorem.

ehild

ehild said:
Think of Pythagoras' Theorem.

ehild

I certainly did. But I still have to assign a variable to one of the sides, ie x, and then the other side would be [itex]\sqrt{h^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex]

It doesn't help me in putting h in terms of P however, because now

P = [itex]x + h + \sqrt{h^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex]

How can I express [itex] h [/itex] only in terms of [itex] P [/itex]?

feihong47 said:
I certainly did. But I still have to assign a variable to one of the sides, ie x, and then the other side would be [itex]\sqrt{h^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex]

It doesn't help me in putting h in terms of P however, because now

P = [itex]x + h + \sqrt{h^{2} - x^{2}}[/itex]

How can I express [itex] h [/itex] only in terms of [itex] P [/itex]?

You basically have to solve for x in terms of h.

Use [itex]x\sqrt{h^2 - x^2} = 12h[/itex], which you've already figured out.

Square both sides to get a quartic in x that can be reduced to a quadratic by a sub like [itex]z = x^2[/itex], then solve for x in terms of h.

The algebra can be a little messy, though.

Ok. If I only have to express it in terms of x then I can do it. Glad to know that it's physically impossible to express it in P. Thanks!

feihong47 said:
Ok. If I only have to express it in terms of x then I can do it. Glad to know that it's physically impossible to express it in P. Thanks!

NO! You *solve* for x in terms of h, then replace all the x terms in [itex]P = x + h + \sqrt{h^2 - x^2}[/itex] with this expression. Finally, rearrange/solve to get h in terms of P.

As I said, it's messy. But completely possible.

LOL. I like your emphatic NO. But yea, that sounds very messy indeed... I see some [itex]x^{2}h^{2} - x^{4} = 144h^{2}[/itex]... Just this alone makes me not want to do it...

feihong47 said:
LOL. I like your emphatic NO. But yea, that sounds very messy indeed... I see some [itex]x^{2}h^{2} - x^{4} = 144h^{2}[/itex]... Just this alone makes me not want to do it...

I just did it. Yes, it's tedious. But once you work through the algebra, you get a nice simple expression for h in terms of P.

Some things to note. You'll get two solutions for the quadratic in [itex]x^2[/itex]. Keep both of them. You'll find a nice symmetry in the expression for [itex]\sqrt{h^2 - x^2}[/itex] when you use each of the values of [itex]x[/itex] that'll simplify your work (so you don't have to do everything twice!). Also keep the identity [itex](a + b)(a - b) = a^2 - b^2[/itex] in mind because you'll find that a great timesaver.

Other than that, you just have to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty. I can't give you any more help without giving you the complete solution. :biggrin:

(I was hoping there'd be a simpler way with similar triangles, but no such luck).

From Pythagoras' Theorem, x2+y2=h2, and you know that xy=12h.
If you add 2xy to both sides to Pythagoras' equation you get the square of x+y on he left side:

(x+y)2=h2+2xy=h2+24h.
x+y=P-h. Substitute for x+y, expand, simplify. The solution is two more lines (h2 cancels).

ehild

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
Also keep the identity [itex](a + b)(a - b) = a^2 - b^2[/itex] in mind because you'll find that a great timesaver.

Also keep the identity (a+b)2=a2+b2+2ab
in mind because you'll find that a great timesaver. :biggrin: in problems where sum and product of two variables are involved.

ehild

ehild said:
Also keep the identity (a+b)2=a2+b2+2ab
in mind because you'll find that a great timesaver. :biggrin: in problems where sum and product of two variables are involved.

ehild

Well, I thought that one went without saying. :biggrin:

ehild said:
From Pythagoras' Theorem, x2+y2=h2, and you know that xy=12h.
If you add 2xy to both sides to Pythagoras' equation you get the square of x+y on he left side:

(x+y)2=h2+2xy=h2+24h.
x+y=P-h. Substitute for x+y, expand, simplify. The solution is two more lines (h2 cancels).

ehild

Wow, this is really, really neat!:approve:

Mine was like :eek: then , finally ending up :smile:.

But I'm :redface: I didn't see your way from the start. I blame the fever I'm having! :-p

Thanks guys, that was good!

Curious3141 said:
But I'm :redface: I didn't see your way from the start. I blame the fever I'm having! :-p

Get well soon! :smile:

ehild

Related to How to solve this triangle problem.

1. How do I find the missing side of a triangle?

To find the missing side of a triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem if you have two known sides. If you only have one known side and the angles, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, or tangent to calculate the missing side. If all three sides are known, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the missing side.

2. How do I find the angles of a triangle?

To find the angles of a triangle, you can use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, or tangent. For a right triangle, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions to find the angles. If all three sides are known, you can use the Law of Cosines to find the angles.

3. What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a trigonometric law that states the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of its opposite angle is constant. This law is useful for finding missing sides or angles in a triangle when the other two sides and an angle are known.

4. How do I use the Law of Cosines to solve a triangle?

The Law of Cosines is used to find the missing side or angle of a triangle when all three sides are known. It states that the square of one side is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the included angle.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to solve any triangle?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used to solve right triangles, where one angle is equal to 90 degrees. For other types of triangles, you will need to use other methods such as the Law of Sines or Law of Cosines.